Tractor shifting

/ Tractor shifting #1  

Highsmith

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2350DT, BCS 853
I am trying to understand the difference between the transmissions. The tractors I am considering have a quite a variety: 8x2, 9x3, 12x12, full synch, partial synch, and mesh.

I am sure some require a clutch to engage to shift while others are clutchless. As I have had two knee surgerys (both on left knee) I wonder about using a clutch causing me a problem. Sometimes I get a little sore in bad traffic here in Dallas while driving my standard.

Does anyone have bad knees and wish for an upgraded tractor? I would like to purchase a no-frills, 50 HP utililty tractor, but wonder if the transmission is a frill I should consider.

/ Tractor shifting #2  
Hello As far as ford nh line i have used most of the combination's.I have had knee surgury and like my ehss 12 speed on the tc55da .From what i read the tn series from nh has a shuttle option.I think the tt60 has the 8x2 which is like the standard for most ford tractor's and is a good transmision.I also owned a tc40d nh hydrostat which is a nice transmision.I would try them out and drive many model's.

/ Tractor shifting #3  
How do you anticipate driving your tractor?

Back & forth loader work makes a power reverser handy direction changes are done with left hand. Rounds in a large field makes the reverser unnecessary.

More gears allows fine tuning of ground speed and power, most implements are designed for 3-6 mph you start moving and then drop the implement down. Heavy loads = high power & lower gear, lower loads = lower rpms and higher gear. Synchro gears are handy for pulling a wagon load on the highway as you can shift up like a car to reduce clutch slipping at start and gain momentum. You can shift the non synchro as well but may not sound too healthy without a lot of practice.

Hydros are noisy plus usually require full engine RPM, but are the most convenient.

/ Tractor shifting #4  
I wrote up the differences between the many different manual transmissions sometime early last year. I will post it again, so that you can have run down on them.

Let me give you a run down on all the Manual types of the transmissions. The hydro explanations are always beat to death and most don’t know the difference between all of the standards transmissions.

1. Manual Shift: plain old standard shift transmission. No synchronizers thus you have to stop and clutch for each gear change. You can’t shift on the go without grinding gears. Usually have 6-8 forward gears and 1-2 reverses.

2. Synchro-Shift: Basically the same as the manual shift except it has synchronizers and can be shifted on the go. The clutch should always be used for starts, stops as well as shifting. Usually has 6-8 forward gears and 1-2 reverses.

3. Shuttle-Shift or Synchro-Shuttle: This is a standard transmission that may have as many gears in reverse as forward. There is lever on the left of the steering that performs the forward to reverse gear change. Most Shuttle Shifts have some synchronized gears or they may be fully synchronized. The clutch must be used to start, stop and change directions. Usually has 9, 12 or 16 gears in each direction. May have a gear as low as ¼ MPH on the 16 speed models.

4. Power-Shuttle: With this Standard transmission, you can change forward to reverse directions and also start and stop without using the clutch. Most if not all Power Shuttle transmissions have fully synchronized gears. Usually has 9, 12 or 16 gears in each direction. May have a gear as low as ¼ MPH on the 16 speed models. (JD calls this a Power Reverser)

5. Power-Shift: This standard transmission has all of the benefits of the power shuttle as well as being able to shift between gears without the clutch. It can be started, stopped, changed from forward to reverse and the gears shifted without the clutch. Usually has 9, 12 or 16 gears in each direction. May have a gear as low as ¼ MPH on the 16 speed models. (Massey Fergusons DynaQPS is a powershift and Kubotas GST is essentially a powershift.)

If I have accidentally made a mistake on any of these let me know. I caught a place or two where I swapped items and had to change them.

/ Tractor shifting #5  
Jerry's summary is excellent. As noted, only a powershift gets you clutchless shifting. Apart from the Kubota GST (not available on their utility tractors) this is generally a big ag tractor item, though it's apparently available on the MF that he noted.

A power shuttle or hydroshuttle lets you shift forward/reverse without the clutch, but you still need the clutch for any other work. Since your other post suggests some loader work, I think you would want a power shuttle (aka power reverser on Deere) at a minimum. This is available on:
Kubota Mxx40 series (but not MX5000)
Deere 5x25 series (but not 5105 or 5103; however, it IS available on the 4x20 series which is their largest CUT)
NH TC55 and larger (but not TC48 even though it has the same frame as TC55)
etc.

/ Tractor shifting #6  
JerryG said:
4. Power-Shuttle: With this Standard transmission, you can change forward to reverse directions and also start and stop without using the clutch. Most if not all Power Shuttle transmissions have fully synchronized gears. Usually has 9, 12 or 16 gears in each direction. May have a gear as low as ¼ MPH on the 16 speed models. (JD calls this a Power Reverser)

Thanks jerry for good explanation. How does Power shift work on an incline surface going either up or down? How does the transmission peform clutching for a gear chage internally? Does it sense gear shifter and say hydraulically engages the clutch just prior to shifting?:confused:

Thanks,
Jetro

/ Tractor shifting #7  
JC-jetro said:
Thanks jerry for good explanation. How does Power shift work on an incline surface going either up or down? How does the transmission peform clutching for a gear chage internally? Does it sense gear shifter and say hydraulically engages the clutch just prior to shifting?:confused:

Thanks,
Jetro
Your welcome. The hydraulic clutches are electro-hydraulic activated when the shifter is moved. There will be some delay on inclines, but some units are better than others. I have very little delay and can change directions with my PowerShuttle on some pretty steep grades without concern. Each manufacture is different.