Looking for R1's for a JD 2520. Anyone know where to find a set?

/ Looking for R1's for a JD 2520. Anyone know where to find a set? #1  

Deadman

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, X475
I have a JD 2520 that I absolutely LOVE, but the only tire options were R4's and Turfs. I need to find a set of Aig or R1's for it, because the R4's on it do absolutely nothing in soft stuff. Its a loader tractor, so it needs traction.

Anyone have any suggestions of where to look for these? I called a Goodyear dealer and they claim there is NOTHING available in this goofy size.

The sizes are.....REAR- 14-17.5
FRONT 23x8.5-12

Anyone?:cool:

Thanks

/ Looking for R1's for a JD 2520. Anyone know where to find a set? #2  
Deadman said:
I have a JD 2520 that I absolutely LOVE, but the only tire options were R4's and Turfs. I need to find a set of Aig or R1's for it, because the R4's on it do absolutely nothing in soft stuff. Its a loader tractor, so it needs traction.

Anyone have any suggestions of where to look for these? I called a Goodyear dealer and they claim there is NOTHING available in this goofy size.

The sizes are.....REAR- 14-17.5
FRONT 23x8.5-12

Anyone?:cool:

Thanks

I do suggest loading the tires thats you have with liquid ballast - Im certain it will provide a big improvement with minimal costs. Will it totally solve the problem? I can only hope it does :)

/ Looking for R1's for a JD 2520. Anyone know where to find a set?
I'm not gonna load the rear tires, because I use it as a mower on my land around the River and that extra weight would kill me for mowing.
I have a ballast box with around 1,200 Lbs in it that I install with the FEL and thats helpful, but not helping the tires clean out. These darn R4's actually packed solid in SNOW......never have I seen a tire do that.

/ Looking for R1's for a JD 2520. Anyone know where to find a set? #4  
The Goodyear dealer is probably right. I just now checked Firestone's agricultural site and they don't have R1s in that size either. I found turfs for the front and R4s for the rear. You would probably have to change to a slightly different sized rim, buying entirely new wheels, and then re-calibrate the speedometer. Usually these tires aren't directly exchangeable for a different type/class fromt what I found. When I was getting ready to purchase my Kubota I thought about putting R4s on. But I would've had to do just that, buy different wheels and recalibrate the speedometer. I'm glad I stuck with R1s though. When doing really heavy loader work I sometimes slip a little even with R1s in 4WD but I'm sure it would be much worse with R4s.

One question though, if you're worried about damaging the lawn when mowing with loaded tires I would think that R1s would do even more damage, even if not loaded. My R1s, even the fronts which aren't loaded, have a tendency to leave ruts and tracks on the lawn area. 'Course, my tractor weighs about 9,000lbs too!:eek: I have loaded turf tires on my zero turn mower and that gives a lot of traction and absolutely no lawn damage.

/ Looking for R1's for a JD 2520. Anyone know where to find a set? #5  
Deadman said:
I'm not gonna load the rear tires, because I use it as a mower on my land around the River and that extra weight would kill me for mowing.
I have a ballast box with around 1,200 Lbs in it that I install with the FEL and thats helpful, but not helping the tires clean out. These darn R4's actually packed solid in SNOW......never have I seen a tire do that.

I’m afraid you will never find that happy median - R1's will be havoc if that’s the route you go in those conditions. Trust me when I say this - loaded tires will work better than non-loaded tires especially when it comes to traction. Big difference having the weight where it’s needed most (on the axle), then hanging on a fulcrum point that’s more for unlading the weight off the front axles. There always a trade off so other than what advice was given to you already - I would just add this: "stay out of the mud " ;)

I know that fluid in the tires may work a tad better, but its just not going to help these R4's clean the mud out of the lugs that are caked full into RACING SLICKS! I can't imagine that 1,200 LBS isnt enough weight for the tractor to bite in....... I can add another 1,000lbs, but I think its a waste of time.

I'd gladly put different wheels on the machine, because my dealer is willing to swap me out whatever wheels/tires it takes to get R1's on this machine. We're just concerned that the circumferences are similiar so the 4x4 doesn't bind and be problems.

/ Looking for R1's for a JD 2520. Anyone know where to find a set? #7  
There was a thread here concerning tire choices for forestry work that addressed many of the issues concerning mud, and tire choices. One reply that I thought made sense suggested using chains set up just a little on the loose side in those conditions with R-4's. The poster stated that it helped keep the mud from packing, and provided lateral stability as well as greater traction. If you decide to try R-1's, perhaps the ratio of the diameters of your front, and rear tires is what needs to be maintained rather than the exact circumference?
Chuck

Exactely, the ratio is critical!

/ Looking for R1's for a JD 2520. Anyone know where to find a set? #9  
Deadman said:
I'd gladly put different wheels on the machine, because my dealer is willing to swap me out whatever wheels/tires it takes to get R1's on this machine. We're just concerned that the circumferences are similiar so the 4x4 doesn't bind and be problems.

If that's the case then I wouldn't hesitate to put on new wheels with R1s.
Ratio is very important so as to maintain the correct "pull" on the front-wheel assist. When in 4WD (FWA) the fronts have to rotate at a slightly faster rate than the rears to pull the tractor along slightly. But even so, the circumference has to be considered if you want an accurate speedometer reading of your ground speed.

Keep us posted how things go. Good luck.

I have no speedometer, so ground speed means nothing to me.
I just need a tire combo that'll keep the 4wd alive!