How Accidents Happen

/ How Accidents Happen #31  
Just just happened to me also - I was climbing in the right side and my foot contacted the forward pedal - the tractor lurched forward a coupla feet brushing my left leg! Had I been a little lower on the tire I would have run overmyself!
Needless to say I ALWAYS use the left side now - its more open and easier anyway. I was just being a little lazy which is how most accidents happen.

/ How Accidents Happen #32  
Since the thread has drifted a bit- still on topic but drifted from how accidents happen, I would like to go back to Hayden's original post.

First, thanks Hayden and others for posting potential problems resulting on the short cuts we all tend to take.

Most accidents are a combination of two or more unsafe actions we take. When using such powerful equipment, the results can be death or maiming. These unsafe practices usually have a low probability of causing an accident but when you roll the dice enough, "snake eyes" is bound to roll up. Ususally, the first time you get off a tractor on the "wrong side" you are careful. It worked and may have saved you a second or two. Probably, the next 20 times you try it, there is no problem. But the day you are in a hurry, don't set the brake or cut the engine , its raining and little more slippery than normal...

You get the message.

We all do stupid things- I do more than my share- and I really encourage everyone to post the boneheaders here so all of us can benefit.

Thanks Hayden

Rick

/ How Accidents Happen
I'll bet you can't make one.!

With that, you'll have a design and first implementation to share with by sunday evening. We'll be watching for the post.

/ How Accidents Happen #34  
<font color=blue>Those guys over there in the Seat Belt thread would love to hear from you!</font color=blue>

I bet they would! I've stayed away on purpose from some discussions because it's all so subjective. I actually wear my seatbelt most of the time, but if I need to stand up, off it comes until I sit down again. I also fold my ROPS anytime I go into my post oak woods because I got tired of taking out limbs (I really get into the brush.) Like most safety equipment, sometimes it's appropriate and sometimes it's not. Everyone has to be responsible for their own level of safety...or at least that's my opinion.

/ How Accidents Happen
oh, oh , oh, I got an idea. A solonoid-controlled "vent" on the HST hydraulics. It could be seat or otherwise activated (seat's the obvious one to me). All it does is open the pressure side of the hydraulics and provide a bypass back to the tank. No hydraulic pressure - no movement.

It might also lessen the breaking effect of HST which would be a down side.

/ How Accidents Happen #36  
Hayden - I'm sure it could be done, but it's more complicated than I'd want to mess with. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif I like the simplicity of a plain old solenoid-plunger-through-a-hole approach. If anything ever goes drastically wrong, you can always just remove the solenoid and everything's just like it was before you messed with it, except for one hole you drilled somewhere...

/ How Accidents Happen #37  
I realize it is an anathema/w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif to propose a simple solution/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif - but how about a bar across the right side, just an inch or two above the HST pedal? 'Wouldn't want to give up right side access, though it is cumbersome and I have indeed had a few times where I tapped the pedal inadvertantly. A bar from the firewall to the fender would keep you clear of the pedals while not making it much worse to get out that side (bar would have to clear the brake pedals too) and still give you clearance underneath to wash out the mud.

I really hate seat sensors as I like to stand sometimes to navigate tight spots and (unlike some of you flatlanders/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif ) we've got plenty of hills and rocks - sos ya bounce sometimes/w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif . The only logical place I saw for a solenoid on the L3710 is under the deck and things are a bit tight in there - not impossible, just more difficult.

/ How Accidents Happen #38  
My TC35 will shut down if I get off and it is either: in gear OR the brakes are not set. While it is a pain sometimes ('cause I'm lazy) it has encouraged good habits for me. Realistically is there any good reason NOT to set the brakes and put it in neutral when you hop off? Compared to the time getting on and off the tractor is the two seconds to set the brakes significant?

On a related note be careful with kids. The first time I took my tractor for a test drive, my 4 year old son climbed up on the right side. Well you know kids, they'll use anything for a handhold including HST pedals! Fortunately I was in neutral and had my foot on the brake. My new rules? My son wants to ride with me he MUST board on the left... no exceptions.

Peter

/ How Accidents Happen #39  
AndyR - You're right: your solution is too simple. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

One of the things I like about using a light pressure solenoid plunger to lock the pedal is that you could still stand if you needed to - the plunger would only lock the pedal after it returned to the neutral position.