How Accidents Happen

/ How Accidents Happen #1  

hayden

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 cab + FEL, KX121, KX080
I had a most alarming and enlightening experience this weekend - It's a great example of how accidents can happen just because ... well, because they're accidents.

I had my tractor stopped, winch and loader lowered, and was climbing off. I stepped off the right side (B2910) leading with my right foot, and the sole of my boot at the heal caught under the reverse peddle for the hydro. At this point my body was off the tractor but my left foot was caught under the peddle ( the sole was actually tearing away from the boot). As I pulled away, my boot pulled the reverse peddle up which of course causes the forward peddle to go down so the tractor started moving forward while I was entangled.

Fortunately I was clear of the wheels and didn't get caught, but it was sobering none the less.

Lessons:

1) Don't get off on the peddle side of the tractor

2) Set the e-brake before getting off

/ How Accidents Happen #2  
hayden,
Sounds like a close one. I remember sliding off a sunfish sailboat into the water and my pinky slipped into a screw eye on the boat. I thought it was going to tear my finger off, but fortunately it came out before it came off. Things happen so quickly.

My JD 4100 will not let me out of the seat until I put the HST 2-speed shift into neutral. Even so, bailing out with your foot caught could do some damage on an ankle or leg.

Glad you were able to write this post. Maybe it should also go in the "Safety" forum. It's a good reminder that things can happen when you least expect them. Thanks for sharing it.

Duane

/ How Accidents Happen #3  
I've had several close calls with my 2910 and the hydro pedals. But my problem comes when I get on the tractor from the left, and swing my big foot over to the right and catch the reverse pedal with my heel. That usually results in my being pitched forward, and catching myself with the steering wheel or the FEL crossbrace. I only have this problem when I get in a hurry, or I get too tired. One of these days I'm sure it will result in lumpy drawers.

Joe W.

/ How Accidents Happen #4  
I have tap the pedal before when getting off to swtich the angle on the plow /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif
I dismount to the left hand side and set the engine to a low idle,also set the brake and lower the fel.
Live and learn can be the best lesson.

/ How Accidents Happen #5  
I always try and remember to take it out of gear (HST) when I get off and leave it running, as I don't really trust the brakes to hold it (I've driven with the brakes on and it doesn't really hold the tractor back too much)

/ How Accidents Happen #6  
I am suprised that the B2910 doesn't have a Seat Sensor switch. I have a JD4300 hst and if I am not sitting in the seat while either pedal is depressed, it kills the engine.

In this day of sue-everyone I am surprised it doesn't have this sensor.

I am not familiar with the Kubota's so this is more of a question than anything else.

Glad there wasn't any injuries.

/ How Accidents Happen #7  
<font color=blue>suprised that the B2910 doesn't have a Seat Sensor switch</font color=blue>

If it had one, I'd just disconnnect it./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I had a Cub Cadet "riding mower" with such a switch; every time you shifted your weight on the seat the engine would start to die. Fortunately, all I had to do was unplug it.

/ How Accidents Happen #8  
Safety switch or not, getting on and off a tractor with the HST in gear, makes about as much sense to me as leaving a truck in "drive" and getting out. Just not a good idea. I guess that is one way my manual transmission is safer, just got to set the brakes.

/ How Accidents Happen #9  
I have left my HST in gear, FEL down, box blade down, and tightly engaged the parking brake on grades before because the brakes (as earlier mentioned) just don't seem to hold at times. I think that the HST brake will help hold... maybe I'm wrong./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/ How Accidents Happen #10  
You know the same thing happened to me! I was exiting my 2710 on the left hand side and my right boot heal caught under the reverse lever just for a second. This caused the tractor to lurch foward. I recovered my balance and composure then vowed to be more careful in the future. It only takes one second of inattention and the results can last a lifetime.