Would you go up it??

/ Would you go up it?? #21  
Understanding pictures can be deceiving, based on the picture, I would not hestitate to go up. The question is do you have to come down the same way (I assume so). Going down is, in my opinion, more questionable. With dry ground, and FWD should be OK. With two wheel, if you break traction coming down you will likely lose control, especially if you do what comes naturally and hit the brakes. I do know this from first hand experience.::eek:

/ Would you go up it??
I'm not scared coming down because I'll drag the Box scraper with rippers down. I took my other tractor up there in reverse and it too quite a while. Once I get the rascal smoothed out with the box blade then I'll be comfortable trying to go up in forward.

/ Would you go up it?? #23  
I wouldn't do it if you are worried about it.

On the other hand, I have hills like that on my property, most not as long, but some steeper. I like going up, better than coming down. As already mentioned, but just to drive it home, go in lowest gear and keep it there. Do not touch the clutch. Keep it in 4wd to get breaking and traction with the front. Keep the FEL bucket as low as possible. Give it only enough gas to keep it at a crawl and remember, letting off the gas should slow you down if you have it in first gear/low range.

One thought about dry hillsides. Mine can get super hard, dusty and covered with leaves. Sometimes this can be as bad as wet and soft because you have no bite.

/ Would you go up it?? #24  
I'd do it. But then I'd do a lot of stuff.:) Just be careful.

/ Would you go up it?? #25  
It doesn't appear any steeper than the path down to the creek behind my house. There are only a couple places where I've had trouble going down or up it, and only when fairly wet. Those 2 places are short slopes in the main slopes that are steeper than the main areas. My Gravely used to give me troubles going up and down, with dual (4) wheels no less. No problems except when a bit wet on those couple of short slopes with my JD 4010 with turfs. Always have it in 4wd. You're crazy to ever take it out of 4wd on any kind of hills.

Had trouble with the Gravely with turfs, ags and with chains at times. Turfs actually give more grip as long as it isn't wet. Ags and chains will just dig holes when they slip, and they'll slip before turfs in reasonable conditions. Ags are probably better in mud, but you don't want to try that slope in mud with any kind of tread or chains.

Ralph

/ Would you go up it?? #26  
Mornin John,
Well it looks fairly steep to me, and in actuallity it may even be steeper than the photo depicts ! The off camber would bother me more than the steepness of the grade. The off camber is going to tilt the tractor giving the operator an uneasy feeling ! I know the feeling well, as many times as I have mowed the field on the right side of my drive on the south side of my property which is off camber I get an uneasy feeling, even though I know its safe ! If that hill was straight up and down Im sure a tractor like yours with ag tires would make it providing that the ground was fairly dry ! I would just go at it slow or if it makes you feel any better I would try to fill in that rut on the left side of the trail to lessen the off camber feeling ! Just my opinion !

Good luck and go slow !

/ Would you go up it?? #27  
I've never seen a picture yet that was able to capture how steep a slope really is. They always look much flatter then they are in reality. Just seeing that the ATV is having trouble making it up the hill tells me it's very steep. You concern over it an difficulty climbing it in your tractor just confirms this.

A friend had a hill like that in one of his easments to his land. That was the short way in, so it's how we always went. The pucker factor was pretty severe going either way, but completely impossible if it was wet out. Then we had to drive an hour more to come in from the paved road on the oposite side of the land.

That land sold and the new owner brought in a tractor and cut the road into several switchbacks. Basically made it look like a letter Z. The difference was amazing. He created a ditch and crowned the road too. After that, we could drive it an hour or two after it rained!!

I know it's a big job, but I'd seriously work on taking out some trees and creating some switchbacks. One mistake, slip of the tires, or misscalculation with a rut, and you could have a very bad accident. Erosion will just make it worse.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Would you go up it?? #28  
Looking at the trees, I think it is a pretty accurate photo of the steepness. It does not look too bad at all. As for the son leaning forward on the quad... I think that is more because he is going up the hill with a dead deer on the back rack rather than empty. He is trying to counterbalance the deer not the quad. How did no one else notice this? lol:eek: At least it sure looks like a doe on there to me...

/ Would you go up it?? #29  
I'd have no trouble going up that hill on my chinese nortrac jinma tractor in two wheel drive in summer,,would put it in four wheel if muddy or in fall when leaves were dropped heavy,,,,if it were really muddy or icy,would stay off it. My toyota truck would go up that hill easy in 4 wheel high,,wouldn't spin a wheel in 4 wheel low,,,,course I'm a hillbilly,,,born and raised on hills much steeper than that,,thats just an incline,,,a slope,,,thing

/ Would you go up it?? #30  
thingy said:
,,,,course I'm a hillbilly,,,born and raised on hills much steeper than that,,thats just an incline,,,a slope,,,thing

;) :)