DRILLING HOLES IN ASPHALT?

/ DRILLING HOLES IN ASPHALT? #1  

JRP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800
I have a new M6800. A friend needs help drilling sixty 6" holes in asphalt (old asphalt). He thinks his auger will drill with no problem. Would this be OK for my tractor?

Would drilling 6" holes in asphalt be "abuse"?

JRPoux

/ DRILLING HOLES IN ASPHALT? #2  
I doubt it will hurt your tractor. The post hole digger is going to have a shear bolt or a slip clutch so if the auger hangs up you're tractor is protected. Might be a little hard on the auger, good thing it belongs to him.

/ DRILLING HOLES IN ASPHALT? #3  
Can you wait for a really hot day? Might make it all easier. If the auger doesn't work you could potentially use a length of 6" well casing and punch the holes (FEL help?), then use the auger below. Just some thoughts /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ DRILLING HOLES IN ASPHALT? #4  
I'll bet he's right that the auger will work just fine. At any rate, it isn't going to hurt the tractor to do it.

/ DRILLING HOLES IN ASPHALT? #5  
If you have problems maybe try heating the asphalt with a tiger torch. Should soften it up to make drilling real easy.

Egon

/ DRILLING HOLES IN ASPHALT? #6  
Just make dang sure he has not replaced the shear pin with a hard bolt. If slip clutch is used make sure you "slip" it before starting.
If he has used a bolt or the clutch is frozen pto damage could occur.

/ DRILLING HOLES IN ASPHALT? #7  
I have been into rock before etc when digging that was harder than asphalt and never had any problem, (look at some of these roads in WV and you will see what I mean)/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif