3rd function switch

/ 3rd function switch #1  

flINTLOCK

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA 2002
This has been kicked around before I know. Those that have loader stick mounted 3rd fxn rockers seem to like them. I ordered one from WR Long recently. Haven't had it installed yet. Is it difficult to feather the control of grapple with rocker switch vs moving a stick??

/ 3rd function switch #2  
I have the W R Long rocker switch in the joystick knob and its either "off" or "on". The only way to feather mine is to blip the switch (it has spring return to "off"). How well that works probably depends on the flow rate for each tractor, hose diameter, etc but on mine, it must work out ok because I don't seem to notice.

/ 3rd function switch #3  
I have Kubota's 3rd function kit on my L3240.
Two non-locking pushbutton switches control opening and closing of my grapple claw.
Like JMC says, you can tap the switch to walk the claw shut/open, and you can vary the speed on the claw action by raising or lowering the RPMs on you engine.

Attachments

• 1_3635.jpg
    1_3635.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 989
  • 1_3636.jpg
    1_3636.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 421
   / 3rd function switch
Do you use 1/4 inch hoses to slow down the action??

/ 3rd function switch #5  
Yup, jmc is right. The third function solenoid operated valve is either "on or off". No feathering with a valve like that. I have mine plumbed with 1/2" hoses but I have 2 grapples and they split the 1/2" hose so it's like having them fed by a smaller hose. I have no problem with the speed they open or close. Actually, I wouldn't mind if they were faster.
If I were you, I would plumb mine with 1/2" or 3/8" hose and try it out. You can always add an adjustable flow restrictor on each line if you feel you need to slow their speed down. Chances are with the flow rate of your pump you will be happy with the speed. Just depends on your pump flow rate.

/ 3rd function switch #6  
flINTLOCK said:
Do you use 1/4 inch hoses to slow down the action??

Yes, mostly because that's what WR Long furnished in their kit. It works fast enough with 1/4. 3RRL is keeping his options open for higher flow and that makes some sense too. But W R Long cautions that their valve is designed for intermittent use and not continuous, so if you think you might like higher flow someday for a hydraulic motor, that valve won't work. (for long) It may have something to do with the duty cycle on those solenoids.

John

/ 3rd function switch #7  
Knowing that it's an all or none proposition, I like my separate valve better, I think -- Not that I have a choice or anything with the DX29.

My dealer installed 1/4 inch grapple lines to keep it from operating too fast, so I can "gently" grab things that I don't want to crush, or put full pressure on things that need it.

/ 3rd function switch #8  
daTeacha said:
Knowing that it's an all or none proposition, I like my separate valve better, I think -- Not that I have a choice or anything with the DX29.

My dealer installed 1/4 inch grapple lines to keep it from operating too fast, so I can "gently" grab things that I don't want to crush, or put full pressure on things that need it.
Rich,
Actually you are controlling the "speed" it operates but not the "pressure" The pressure is not controlled by the 1/4" lines nor feathering valve. In other words, even if you grab something as "slowly" as possible, if you keep closing the grapple at that same rate, it will "slowly" crush the object anyway. The slower speed is what gives you more control ... more time to react. The pressure is determined by your pump specs and whatever the relief is set at.
I know what you meant though.