3-pt Spreader

/ 3-pt Spreader #1  

flINTLOCK

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA 2002
When using 3-pt spreader for fertilizer, what cleanup is required after use for the spreader and the tractor??

/ 3-pt Spreader #2  
spray it down
get all that stuff off
if you don't it rusts and corrodes the metal.

/ 3-pt Spreader #3  
Plus, I think it helps to keep it inside.

/ 3-pt Spreader #4  
at the very least, cover it with a tarp
and store it upside down (big end down)

BTW, check out Herd Spreaders for truly great spreaders (a very satisfied customer)

/ 3-pt Spreader #5  
LoneCowboy said:
at the very least, cover it with a tarp
and store it upside down (big end down)

BTW, check out Herd Spreaders for truly great spreaders (a very satisfied customer)

Me, too. My little M96 has done very well for me.

/ 3-pt Spreader #6  
How much do you plan on using this spreader? If you plan on using this a lot then look at Vicon. They make the best spreaders on the market and have poly tanks with stainless parts where any corrosion might want to start at. They will last a lifetime with proper care and are easy to use and clean as the poly tank pops off rather easily to let you get to the spreader gate so you can make sure it is cleaned and oiled well. The cheap metal units you see at TSC and other farm stores are nice units if you don't plan on using it much but you have to make sure you clean it as soon as you are done using it and oil the heck out of the thing or else it will rust up in no time. I see these things all the time that are rusted shut because they were not cleaned well enough. They are a fraction of the cost of the Vicon though but you get what you pay for.

/ 3-pt Spreader #7  
Robert_in_NY said:
How much do you plan on using this spreader? If you plan on using this a lot then look at Vicon. They make the best spreaders on the market and have poly tanks with stainless parts where any corrosion might want to start at. They will last a lifetime with proper care and are easy to use and clean as the poly tank pops off rather easily to let you get to the spreader gate so you can make sure it is cleaned and oiled well. The cheap metal units you see at TSC and other farm stores are nice units if you don't plan on using it much but you have to make sure you clean it as soon as you are done using it and oil the heck out of the thing or else it will rust up in no time. I see these things all the time that are rusted shut because they were not cleaned well enough. They are a fraction of the cost of the Vicon though but you get what you pay for.

I'll second that Robert. I have a neighbor that has used the same Vicon for 24 years now. On year 23 he had to replace the rubber damper, I'll call it that for lack of not knowing the proper name. He's averaged 20 tons per year of fertilizer spreading. I borrowed his once. Couldn't believe the spread pattern. It's the only spreader I've used that spreads the same distance on both sides.

After I used his I bought one last year. I run 12 to 15 tons per year through mine and use it for seeding too. I had a Lely for 25 years and wore it out. I thought that was a good spreader until I used the Vicon. The Vicon is as close to perfect as any I've used. I also like not getting fertilizer all over the tractor too. I wish I'd bought one years ago now. No more green streaks in the fields.

/ 3-pt Spreader #8  
I wash mine out with a hose for quite a bit. then I hit it with some wd-40 to displace the wather. then i lube it good.

soundguy

/ 3-pt Spreader #9  
Robert_in_NY said:

VICON! I'd rather have ONE Vicon spreader than 20 of the cheaper ones. They last longer and are more accurate (consistant) with spread rate. It's not always just "which one is cheapest".

/ 3-pt Spreader
I've always been of the philosophy that you get what you pay for. That being said, the Vicon's are about 4x more spendy than many others. The concensus seems to be that they're worth the extra benjamins??