The Cardboard Trick

/ The Cardboard Trick #11  
Not quite the cardboard trick. Anybody recall the old chip of wood under the hood on a vehicle to get a wash of warm air up over the windshield in cold weather? I used that on my 36, 37, 38, 41 chevs and 35 chev 1 1/2 ton. That's the one I learned how to drive and shift on.

Harry K

/ The Cardboard Trick #12  
no haven't heard of this, but we could use some more info on it

/ The Cardboard Trick #13  
It was a common trick back then for vehicles with less than optimum defrosters. Open hood, lay 3/4" stick of wood on cowl in about the middle of the driver's window and close the hood on it. This made a slot that allowed engine heat to wash up over windshield and at least -help- keep the ice off. Wouldn't care to try it on anything modern. It would probably put quite a dent in the tinwork.

Harry K

/ The Cardboard Trick #14  
Having digressed from the subject, I will now return to the cardboard bit. My first experience with the adjustable shutters was on a Farmall M. Just a green kid that had never been on a wheel tractor and this one had the oddity of gradually closing the shutter by itself. I realized I was boiling and made a dash for the pump house. Boss saw me and explained the problem.

My second one was on a 59 Volvo PV544. It had a verticle blind operated by a pull cord on the dash. Great idea but had one major drawback. Close it - fast warmup. Unfortunately air flow would -not- allow it to drop back at any speed over about 30mph. A major PITA on the open road.

Harry K