Toothbar

/ Toothbar #11  
If you do get one drill the holes toward the front of the bucket so you can just loosen the bolts and slide it forward and flip it in to bucket to get a straight edge when needed.

tommu56

/ Toothbar #12  
   / Toothbar #15  
jsbryan, are you familar, I hope, with mesquite and pear eradication?

If you think you can cut down the mesquite and push over the pear and you will have solved your problem, PM me, I need to give you detailed advice... the slash/push technique only makes the problem MUCH worse!

Bottom line, Texas A&M has pamphlets called Brush Busters that give the better approaches to this problem... none are perfect and all require multiple years of effort.

Also, yep, a toothbar is very, very worth the expense.

/ Toothbar #16  
Your pics look really familiar. Here's what I'm cleaning up.

HeavyTreeHabitat.jpg

Texasjohn speaks the truth. Mesquite's push down really easily, but you have to make sure you get the horizontal roots out too or you'll have a mess of regrowth. Also, each and every prickly pear pad you miss during clean-up can (and most likely will) start a new plant so be very diligent when messing with these things too.

/ Toothbar
I am aware that prickly pear pads left behind will re-grow. However, I have no idea what else to do.

/ Toothbar #18  
jshbryan said:
I am aware that prickly pear pads left behind will re-grow. However, I have no idea what else to do.

Do some google searches with:

Grazon
Tordon
Remedy
Reclaim

Biggest problem is one has to get an applicator's license in order to buy most of these.

/ Toothbar #19  
These are the right chemicals, time of application and exact mix is key.... as well as care during application. Yep.... call your County AGent and find out when the next applicator's licence course is... take it... cost is about $75 and lasts for 5 years, I think.... I am CERTAIN you will need that licence.... so sign up now.

/ Toothbar #20  
I just ran across this root grapple..... it's possible that with your soil the points could dig up the mesquite and pear by the roots, then the grapple could grab it for removal to a pile..... I haven't used such a grapple.

Has anybody out there used something like this to grub mesquite and pear?