SANDBLASTING

/ SANDBLASTING #1  

flINTLOCK

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA 2002
I'm acquiring a springtine harrow from a guy who's giving it away. It's been heavily repainted with substantial buildup. Some bolts are hard to get a purchase on. I can't complain about the price. I was thinking of having it sandblasted and repaint it myself. But I wondered what do-it-yourself sandblasting requires ??

/ SANDBLASTING #2  
Least expensive, safest, and quickest way to do this --- if you have a pressure washer --- is with a sand blasting attachment for your pressure washer. I just stripped all the old paint off my MMM deck for my 455 in a couple hours. You don't need the suit of armor or breathing system that you need with dry sand blasting. A pair of goggles, a warm day, and some clothes that don't mind water are all you need. The attachment has a second hose that you put in a bag or bucket of sand. When you pull the trigger on the PW, it siphons the sand out of the bag and shoots it with the water at your project. It does go through a bunch of sand, but then, so does dry blasting on anything that won't fit in a cabinet. I think I used 6 bags (at 6 bucks a bag) to blast the 60 inch mower deck.

/ SANDBLASTING #3  
Probably the least expensive is to take it to a SB place and have them do it. Probably looking at 1 hour worth of work including set up and such. Probably 75 bucks.

jb

/ SANDBLASTING #4  
I was considering a sandblaster from Northern Tool to do my bush hog, pickup frame, and a few other things. After talking to people I'm considering a needle Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
scaler.

i hadn't heard of the pressure washer attachment though... it'd be a good excuse to pick up a pressure washer.:D

/ SANDBLASTING #5  
That pressure washer attachment does sound good. I tried sandblasting at home a few years ago with a setup I borrowed from my BIL. I worked my air compressor very hard that weekend with mixed results. I have a 6hp, twin cyl. single stage air compressor with a 60gal tank, rated at 11 cfm at 90psi and it was starving for air.
needle scalers do work well also, sometimes hard to get in the corners

/ SANDBLASTING #6  
My 2 bits: Needle scalers aka needle guns, work well on fairly heavy metal with a good amount of rust on it. on light weight metal you may end up with a dimpled surface or a distorted piece of metal.
I love using a needle gun on heavy rust, put a steel ship in saltwater and vola, rust. On light or surface rust, you are wasting time and making a lot of racket.

/ SANDBLASTING #7  
rustyanchor said:
My 2 bits: Needle scalers aka needle guns, work well on fairly heavy metal with a good amount of rust on it. on light weight metal you may end up with a dimpled surface or a distorted piece of metal.
I love using a needle gun on heavy rust, put a steel ship in saltwater and vola, rust. On light or surface rust, you are wasting time and making a lot of racket.

You've used them, I've just read about them and talked to people who've used them.
Thanks for the food for thought.

/ SANDBLASTING #8  
In years past I have many hours needle gunning ships, If you have deep or heavy rust, a needle gun is the trick. It will get into pits and depressions that a sander will miss and will break up the rust "bubbles" that a wire wheel will only polish.
For light rust and irregular surfaces a sand blaster or wire wheel works very well. Wire wheels do not do inside corners though but will get into pits and depressions.

Oh so many toys to play with...

/ SANDBLASTING #9  
hockeyhead said:
That pressure washer attachment does sound good. I tried sandblasting at home a few years ago with a setup I borrowed from my BIL. I worked my air compressor very hard that weekend with mixed results. I have a 6hp, twin cyl. single stage air compressor with a 60gal tank, rated at 11 cfm at 90psi and it was starving for air.
needle scalers do work well also, sometimes hard to get in the corners

That's how I found it. I needed to clean something up, and I knew my little pancake compressor would never get the job done. I had just bought the pressure washer and saw something about the attachments when I had been doing my web research for the washer. Checked it out further and bought one for $99. Works like a champ.

/ SANDBLASTING #10  
jeffinsgf said:
Least expensive, safest, and quickest way to do this --- if you have a pressure washer --- is with a sand blasting attachment for your pressure washer. I just stripped all the old paint off my MMM deck for my 455 in a couple hours. You don't need the suit of armor or breathing system that you need with dry sand blasting. A pair of goggles, a warm day, and some clothes that don't mind water are all you need. The attachment has a second hose that you put in a bag or bucket of sand. When you pull the trigger on the PW, it siphons the sand out of the bag and shoots it with the water at your project. It does go through a bunch of sand, but then, so does dry blasting on anything that won't fit in a cabinet. I think I used 6 bags (at 6 bucks a bag) to blast the 60 inch mower deck.

does the sand go through the pump for the pressure washer? seems like a bad thing to me, sand/water/metal pump, would this not cause damage to the veins in the pump? i duno just asking