What would you do...

/ What would you do... #11  
I don't tell my wife what to do with her money and she doesn't tell me what to do with mine. We have separate bank accounts and we both work. I will say though that I waited til she was away on a trip for a week to get the tractor. When she rolled up the driveway there was Krusty. Could have been worse ...a blond. I have a gravel driveway and having it paved is so far down the list of what I want that it's not even on the radar. The way I feel (I'm 57 and have been married 30 years) is you will only live so long so you'd better scratch an itch rather than take it to the grave to make someone else happy. Now if you plan to use her money or really deprive your family to buy the tractor that's another story. My advice applies to women as well. Oh yes three years later I bought a mini excavator without asking or waiting for her to go on vacation.

/ What would you do... #12  
$6k wouldn't come close to paving that drive around here .... If you make that a priority I think you can kiss the tractor goodby until your Dad passes..... but if he's just 75 and still active - he's probably got a good 10 yrs left in him. Paving a drive where I'm at boosts the taxes by a bunch...to the point that people don't do it because of the tax jump. I'd try another route on your debate. Start doing those projects / chores around there that a tractor would make so-o-o much easier .... and get your wife to help -- a lot ... Does she help mow with the push mower now? Tell her you "need" her help and get her "out of the house and in the heat" of the work. Let her make the decision that you really need a tractor before the drive gets done - then go from there. I'm luckier than that ... it was my wife that really wanted the backhoe for the tractor .... she digs big tools.

/ What would you do... #13  
hudlow said:
I have a "redneck" driveway....?

:confused:

Something tells me I'd have a "redneck driveway" even if it were paved with gold. Something about "ME" parking on it would negate any upgrade in status. ;)

/ What would you do... #14  
Does it HAVE to be a "big name" tractor? There are other options...a Chinese tractor with all that stuff you want can be had NEW with a 2 year warranty for less than $10K.

I'm telling you, they're crude but they run.

/ What would you do... #15  
Farmwithjunk said:
Something tells me I'd have a "redneck driveway" even if it were paved with gold. Something about "ME" parking on it would negate any upgrade in status. ;)

Around here, just having gravel is a big step up in status.

/ What would you do... #16  
I would look into buying used. Would it be possible to stretch the budget if you wife got the driveway and you got a tractor? I found this 2210 on Tractorhouse.com. I believe your pictures mentioned you are in TN? Take search in the website and see what you find.

2005 JOHN DEERE 2210 For Sale at TractorHouse.com

You would be surprised the deals you can find used. Not to mention, you may want to look at something in a different color if money is a consideration. JD makes a nice tractor, but they do carry a hefty price tag in most areas.

I would not consider inheriting the tractor an option. Your dad has many good years ahead of him.:)

/ What would you do... #17  
Is your dad able to buy your half of his tractor? If he is he would probably be glad to do that, especially knowing that it would help you. That would give you some more money down. The next thing is NOT paving your drive. If you dont have a good base, the pavers will want paid to dig up what youve got and replace it with their 'recommended' base == $$$.
I would start shoping for and pricing tractors. Learn your dealers, they are important. Once you know exactly what you want, start pricing out paying to get some things done that you could do with the tractor. The wife will eventually say we should just get a tractor. Now, since you know what you want, get your rear down to the dealer and bring home the written estimate BEFORE she has a chance to waffle again. Then buy the tractor. First thing you do is clean and arch the driveway, make it look nice WITHOUT pavement. Everytime you do something with the new tractor, come in with a big ol smile and announce how much money you just saved by having that tractor and doing the job yourself.

good luck.

DuaneW.

/ What would you do... #18  
If you cherish your wife, pave the drive. It's money well-spent anyway. Then get a used tractor with what is left.... and stop towing that Deere on an unsafe trailer!

/ What would you do... #19  
Option 1:
I'm with DuaneW on his recommendation. Ask your father to buy out your half...??? If he can, you'll have the quality downpayment you need to keep wifey happy and have your driveway too! Problem solved.

Option 2: Peave off wifey, she comes in from work one day to see you on your shiney new JD...(I don't condone this one)!

Option 3: Be ready to buy, the NEXT time wifey says "Ah honey, go get what you want", GO THEN! Then when she flip-flops back the other way, you got her...(I don't condone this one either)!

Option 4: Regardless of Father's buy out or not, buy a used tractor at a cheaper price. Put in driveway...all is happy on the farm!

Good luck man, I wish you the best...

Oh yeah, no more pillow talk about farm machinery or implements...

Also, I have a partial gravel driveway, am I a redneck?

/ What would you do... #20  
If the wife isn't happy no one is happy , work out a compromise that suits you both ,that's what being married is all about. If this will strap you financially that is not a good thing either,that can raise havec with any marriage.Be sure you know exactly what you really need in the first place as it can save you alot of money in the end,I know from experience on that one.
Good Luck