switching weight

/ switching weight #1  

Blackfoot

Tractor
Cub Farmall,Farmall A,Ford 8N,MF35
Hello, I have a MF35 and I am putting new tires on the back. The question that I have is, I would just a soon not put calcium in them, I generally have a 300 pound back blade on it. would that be enough to conpensate for not having the caciam.

/ switching weight #2  
I used to have a MF135 and it had calcium in the tires when I bought it.

That worked fine.

Then, I had first one flat, than another... lost the calcium and never replaced it. I didn't have too much trouble pulling plows and disk harrows... biggest problem I had was keeping the front end on the ground when I had a heavy disk with weights on the 3ph.

The rims rotted on the rear tires from the calcium... thus, I don't suggest it ... there are alternatives you can use that are less corrosive.

I think you'll be OK, after looking at your implements... since you don't have a FEL.

/ switching weight #3  
I've run a lot of tractors with and without weights and the tires being filled and I'd go without if you could. You might have a little tire spin but even when plowing you should be running about 5 to 7% wheel slip.

/ switching weight
This tractor is a Turf Special, wide n low to the ground, it has just about the right size loader it, also has heavy duty push blade. The people that I bought it from just used it for plowing snow. I don't like the calcium becuz of how hard it is on equipment when it gets out. And if I can get by without it thats what I'd rather do. I have run rubber tired skidders without the fluid, and that is'nt alot of fun on real steep ground, but I won't be on anything as steep as that. So thank you,, I think it will do just fine with air.

/ switching weight #5  
oops... did you say you have a front end loader... beware!!!

Be SURE and have sufficient rear weight... however you get it there.....

/ switching weight #6  
Blackfoot said:
Hello, I have a MF35 and I am putting new tires on the back. The question that I have is, I would just a soon not put calcium in them, I generally have a 300 pound back blade on it. would that be enough to conpensate for not having the caciam.

There are other liquids to fill the tires with that are not corrosive. One popular one is water with methanol. Basically windshield washer fluid. You can also use water and RV antifreeze. There is also a heavier fluid made from beets that is using a sugar to lower the freezing point and is about as heavy as water/cacl2.

I would fill, and probably use the methanol fluid. Ag tire stores can do it for around 100 bucks a tire - depends on size of the tire.

jb

/ switching weight
Well the left hine tire has a very slow air leak. I never checked the tires after I got it home, so when I put air in the flat tire I checked the other side to and it might have had 3 lbs in it, and the tire that was flat don't have any fluid in it anymore, it looks like it has had that leak for along time as I noticed that there is some major rust on that one side. I am going to put brakes on it here in a day er so, and will clean that up. The tires on it now are them turf tires and they just don't get around to good on any half steep ground. So I found 2 used tires, that look new of the lug type and that should do the trick. The loader on it isn't a real heavy loader, and I have a heavy back blade that should work for weight.

/ switching weight #8  
Blackfoot said:

Most folks find that even fluid-filled rear tires aren't always enough with a loader. An MF35 will have (either) 12.4X28, 13.6X28 or 14.9X24 tires on it (originally) Fill those with ca/cl and you add approx. 600 to 800lbs, depending on strenght of ca/cl mixture. That 300lb rear blade is mounted farther away from the loader and over-hanging the rear, BUT not enough to compensate for it's lighter weight. You'll loose a fair amount of ballast effect. The loader frame and bucket overhang the front end enough to nuetralize the weight of the blade overhanging the rear. Also consider what happens when you use the rear blade. When it's on the ground, you loose most of it's ballast effect. Hang the blade into a pile of dirt and you'll find yourself short on traction more than likely. Weigh to horsepower ratio is not overly great on that tractor, along with the fact that it is slightly "nose-heavy" with its front-to-rear balance when not using fluid-filled tires. (as is the case with all the smaller Massey utilities) That's a tractor that was designed with 3-point draft control and mounted implements in mind to take advantage of being lightweight in terms of power to weight ratio. Loader work wasn't a primary consideration in its design.

Long story short, you'll miss the extra weight. BTDT.

Consider cast iron wheel weights if you don't like fluid-filled tires.

Also consider alternative non-corrosive "fill" in the tires, such as windshield washer fluid. (methyl alcohol) or used antifreeze/rv antifreeze, even the ever increasinly popular "rim gaurd" (beet juice)

/ switching weight
Well I really think you are right in the fact that I need some weight in them tires, as the one that don't have any calcium is always the first to spin out. So lacking wheel weights I reckon I will get the slow leak fixed, and put the calcium back in as there isn't anyone around this part of the country that is familiar with the other methods that you speak of.

And you know them near new used tires that I was going to put on, I went the 100 miles to pick them up, well the ones that they trotted out with were darn near bald, I guess some one took pictures of the wrong tires, but they said they could fix me right up as they had some bran new ones in the tire shed. They did to, $800.oo apiece, you can just bet I went to the feed store n picked up some horse shoe nails an went back home. I think I will just put some heavy chains on and call it good. I have been trying to post a picture of it on here, but everytime I do I get knocked off line. Thank you for all your advice.,,,, MY wife bought me a new welder the other day, its a Lincoln AC 225 ark, And it is a pleasure to weld with, The one that I have used for years is a Forney 180, and it was getting to where it would stick so often it was just a bearcat to weld anything, I got it used about 20 years ago.