Backhoe New to backhoe operating

/ New to backhoe operating #1  

toolaholic

Silver Member
Have a full size Massey ferguson 50 hx extendahoe. About a 16,000 Lb. machine. Am getting pretty good with the sticks [2] . My problem is I dig My trenches too deep. Usually about a foot too deep! Is there a 12 step program for old hacks like Me?? Any advice will be appreciated thank's Tool

/ New to backhoe operating #2  
I'd love to operate one of the big hoes. I've gotten pretty good with the smaller ones.
To answer your question: You need to get used to feathering both of the controls to dig a nice flat trench. The boom, dipper and bucket have to work together. If you only use one of the controls, it will always dig in an arc. I wish I could describe a specific technique but I think thats something you will need to work out.

/ New to backhoe operating
Thank's Ray that makes sence. Will work on that

/ New to backhoe operating #4  
You need to establish some depth indicators on your bucket at teeth down and back down positions as well as several indicators on the stick. Until you entrench these numbers you might go ahead and spray some paint on the bucket and dipper at depths you use. Work hard at learning to make the finish cut with the back of the bucket flat in the bottom and the teeth just barely cutting out teeth marks, etc. It will require operating boom, dipper, and curl all at the same time.

Know where 18" is. It is usually safe to dig to that depth. Get scared at 18 and stay scared well after 24 as most things are buried at that depth, at least around here with a frost depth of 18. If there are utilities, back off the throttle and keep the teeth open as you work the bottom of the ditch. Curling those teeth sure can bring up some pretty colored wire and pipe. DAMHIK.

/ New to backhoe operating #5  
Ray's advice is good. On my old 4 stick hoe, pulling 3 sticks back at the same time (right to the stops) will make a pretty flat bottom. I think that the valving has something to do with it. There is probably a position that will do the same on you 2 stick ho.

jb

/ New to backhoe operating #6  
Some of us have a natural eye to digging trenches,others use a measuring stick,or have someone guide you as you go.Alittle practice and youll develop your skills and your eye
ALAN