Charge to plant trees?

/ Charge to plant trees? #1  

NLWoods

Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
Hello,

I purchased 1000 bare root trees this spring to resale. I would like to offer to deliver and plant the trees. I also have two hundred 4 year old 2 to 4 inch trees in the field that I would like to sell and plant this winter next spring. I was thinking of offering to plant the bare root trees for $30 each - minimum two. On the larger trees, my thought is $100 per trunk inch delivered and planted. Any ideas?

Thanks!

/ Charge to plant trees? #2  
There must be a big thing going around on the bare root trees. Our local places are advertising them right and left. We did buy three and was told to register them online. But your price sounds cheap. We paid $30.00 each and I had to plant them. You might want to reconsider unless you bought so many that you got them for almost nothing.

murph

/ Charge to plant trees? #3  
Around here, the nurseries charge 50$ to deliver and plant a tree.. only way to get a guarantee. if you take it and plant it yourself.. no guarantee.

soundguy

/ Charge to plant trees? #4  
I don't know about bare root
but I charge $100 per 2" (or so) tree, plus 20% on my cost of the tree (which is cheaper than retail) plus the wires/poles/etc to wire it

I can do that in about 1.5 hours per tree.

/ Charge to plant trees? #5  
Soundguy said:
Around here, the nurseries charge 50$ to deliver and plant a tree.. only way to get a guarantee. if you take it and plant it yourself.. no guarantee.

soundguy

Chris,

I am thinking that is not the price for the tree itself though? And do they charge more or larger ones?

murph

/ Charge to plant trees? #7  
I'm not sure how big these trees are, but i go to the edge of a woods and pull out all the young trees that start to grow on the edge of the woods. I take and plant them, and 90% of them live if you water them. Its FREE, and you cna pick what trees you like. :D

But maybe you guys are talking about big trees, because thats a TON of $$$$. I pulled out over 500 and replanted them in the last 3 years. The ones I pull out are particularly Spruce trees that are about Knee high. :cool:

My buddy also just bought 1,400 Bare root mixed trees from the DNR for just over $100. He had Spruce, maple, oak, pines.

I just bought Mackintosh apple trees that are 1 full inch diameter trunk and about 6 feet high. I bought them for $12 each. :cool:

/ Charge to plant trees? #8  
Not tree cost.. just local delivery and sticking it into the ground. Most of our nurseries arounf here don't sell any gargantuan trees.. just stuff up to a max of about 4" diamater..

Soundguy

thcri said:
Chris,

I am thinking that is not the price for the tree itself though? And do they charge more or larger ones?

murph

/ Charge to plant trees? #9  
We ran into a really good deal about 5 years ago. 8ft blue spruce trees transplanted for $125.00 each. You had to take in lots of ten though. We took ten and then shared with another neighbor and got 5 more. This guy was kind of crazy because he would seel you 5 trees and the cost would be over $800.00. None of it made any sense on his pricing. His warranty was optional and it cost over $200 per tree. I took my chances and only lost one. Which I thought was pretty good out of the 15. Why he sold them so cheap I don't know but our whole development kept him busy all summer long.

I was told later(not sure if true) but he sold the tree farm but he could take out as much as he wanted until the end of the year??

murph

/ Charge to plant trees?
Thanks for your input! I purchased the trees for average $10.00 each including shipping. They range from 5 foot tall fruit trees to 18 foot tall birch and aspens. 400 were fruit trees and 600 deciduous. I have 13 foot tall maples, 10 foot raywood ash, golden chain, purple robe, flowering crab, plum and pear, weaping cherry and pussywillows, greenspire lindens etc. Over 50 varieties are in the bunch. The fruit trees included multi grafted pears, cherries, apples and asian pears. I also received 25 espalier grafted multi variety (goes next to a fence).

I am selling them for $15 each for the single variety fruit up to $50 for the 16 foot tall birch with the rest mostly in the 30 to 40 range.

I am trying to decide whether to try to make my money on planting or just selling them. I can get a 24" auger for my Kioti 30CK HST for $440 from the local dealer. However, I am not sure what kind of risks I will be taking using the auger for digging the holes.