Best way to smooth out a yard

/ Best way to smooth out a yard #11  
When we do play fields at schools, the final grade is made by draging a 10' to 12' long 4" pipe behind the tractor. Just place the hook from your tie down chains in each open end and hook the other end to the BB. The rounded surface of the pipe knocks down the high spots and does an excellent and fast job of leveling.

/ Best way to smooth out a yard #12  
For the final smoothing we used a length of chain-link fence with a few cement blocks wired onto it, but that will only work for nice loose topsoil.

/ Best way to smooth out a yard #13  
Harley power rake; if you want the smoothest and a very level surface.

/ Best way to smooth out a yard #14  
Rich P said:
Harley rake. Find a place that rents one unless you can make a living doing this.

Absolutely correct. Until you try one you dont realize how good they work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Greg Harrison

/ Best way to smooth out a yard
GregH said:
Absolutely correct. Until you try one you dont realize how good they work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Greg Harrison

I checked out a video on the internet on a Harley Power Rake and it looks like it would do a heck of job, but it also looks likes it requires hydraulic connections on the rear to operate it which I do not have. Also, I have never seen one of those for rent down here on the Texas Gulf Coast.

/ Best way to smooth out a yard #16  
The hydraulic connectors are not neccessary. They are to angle the rake 15 degrees left or right, but using it in the straight position is the only way I've ever used it. I have the hydraulic cylinder on the rake and a third valve on the loader so I might make a line to run from the valve to the rear for the connection, but highly doubt it will be any time soon. They also make a version with a manually adjustable angle.

/ Best way to smooth out a yard #17  
All of the advice that has been offered will give you the results that you're hoping for... with one general guideline. The equipment used runs the gamut from a Box blade and FEL to a Harley landscape rake and everything in-between.

And they'll all do the job of leveling your yard; eventually. The guideline in question is -- at what stage of development is your yard -- right now? Is it brushy, weedy or already seeded with grass that may or may not fully cover the yard? How consistent or inconsistent is the grade/slope or terrain of the area currently?

If you recognize where you're at; you'll have a much better idea of how you'll need to proceed to get to where you want to go.

The further you are away from having a good, level seedbed the more likely it is that you'll need to use a implement like a box blade, tiller, disc harrow or the like that will break down the existing vegetation and soils; and leave you with workable dirt.

From that point, you can then move on to using a landscape rake, Harley rake or towed PVC pipe or chain link fence to smooth things out even further.

The long and short of this is -- use the tool that best fits the current stage of your yard development and move on to the next implement as you work to a plantable seed bed.

That said; I've put in yards with just a tiller and chain-link fence drag and a 3-wheeler.

Akfish

/ Best way to smooth out a yard
The yard is an established yard with San Augustine grass. I guess whenever it was first put in, the only place it was leveled was the area just around the house and the rest of the yard (about 1.5 acres) was not given that much attention to. I guess, whenever I get my tractor back I'll get several loads of sand and just use the "eyeball to contact" method with a boxblade. Once I get close, I think I am going to drag a big pipe around and see how that does as for as getting thing level. Thanks for all the advice.

/ Best way to smooth out a yard #19  
AKFish gives good advice. I was hoping to get a power rake, but sticker shock crushed that dream. I couldn't find a rental, so I contacted a dealer and was quoted $6,500 for the Woods Equipment estate series version. That price may be higher than what you would find in your area. I'm sure it's worth every penny, for those with enough cash on hand.

/ Best way to smooth out a yard #20  
I got my t-6 Harley for $5750 ($6300 delivered to my door). If anyone else is interested, let me know.