Best way to smooth out a yard

/ Best way to smooth out a yard #1  

DCS

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4310
What is the best way to really smooth out the hills and valleys in a yard. It is just to use the "eyeball to contact" method with a box blade or is there some "magic" implement I can use?

/ Best way to smooth out a yard #2  
the box blade is pretty handy at moving dirt around. In some areas I actually took my tiller and dug it up then dragged it. Got it pretty level.

murph

/ Best way to smooth out a yard #3  
For hills and valleys, (short of using a dozer) I would say a good eye would be your best tool. Spend some time marking the areas you want to cut and fill with some paint.

/ Best way to smooth out a yard #4  
sence my septic system was installed i told the installer i would level things out as i wanted the seat time.

Ill have quite a few hrs with the FEL and BB. But as my property is so flat drainage (slope) is key so i dont wind up with low spots holding water :(

so as i start to find tune the grade we will use a builders level to shoot grades to make shure its going downhill somplace.

/ Best way to smooth out a yard #5  
I have been doing the same this Spring, leveling out about 3/4 acre. I have been using a 6' rake and FEL. I bought 40 yards of top soil to fill in some sink holes, and level out some dips, etc.

Even with all my toys I mean tools it still is work. However no more blisters from the hand rake and shovel.

/ Best way to smooth out a yard #6  
bialecki said:
Even with all my toys I mean tools it still is work. However no more blisters from the hand rake and shovel.

ya i was really surprised how quick my "little" 5' BB filled up. but it did make quick work of the ruts and REALLY uneavn ground in the 10 min i spent the other night.

I just need a turtle/rabit switch for backing up/going forward as backing up is PAINFULLY S L O W

/ Best way to smooth out a yard #7  
DCS said:
What is the best way to really smooth out the hills and valleys in a yard. It is just to use the "eyeball to contact" method with a box blade or is there some "magic" implement I can use?

Rototill. Two passes at right angles.

Don't overdo rototilling by making more passes since you'll just be breaking down the soil microstructure and ruining the natural soil drainage.

/ Best way to smooth out a yard #8  
Harley rake. Find a place that rents one unless you can make a living doing this.

/ Best way to smooth out a yard #9  
People have recommended rakes, blades, harrows and land planes to level my driveway but today I discovered that I already owned the best one. Dead flat and already compacted but only 2 feet wide per pass, just forget to raise your weight box before driving off. ;-)

/ Best way to smooth out a yard #10  
I would have to say a Box Blade and a loader is about the best combination to resurface your land