"Tactical" Question FEL on steep hill

/ "Tactical" Question FEL on steep hill #31  
Awful hard to give tactical advice without seeing the situation, but here's some anyway...get to know your seatbelt and make sure the ROPS is up and secured (if it is a folding ROPS). Order a toothbar for your bucket ...with your "concrete" soil, it is probably the best investment. Can I assume that the tractor is 4wd? If so, this is a lot easier:

No one mentioned the problem with going downhill with the FEL loaded; the problem is that the rear wheels tend to "unweight" and lose traction ...and, braking, of course. This problem is overcome with 4wd as the front wheels provide engine braking (you are in low range on your HST, on a serious slope ...and never try to change on a slope. and never, never let your foot get near the clutch) and you will be able to descend to a more level spot, but never turn the wheels...you should be going straight up or down the "fall line", as skiers say ...I cannot conceive of a situation where the tractor is ever going to flip over onto its back "longitudinally" (i.e., tail over nose or the reverse) short of going over a cliff (does "cliff" describe coming over the top of your berm?) or running into an immovable stump with the bucket at really, really, really high speed (for a tractor) [but, see, below, discussion of improper pulling]

While you are waiting for your toothbar, try a few confidence building exercises. Get to your flattest spot, roll your bucket forward and apply downforce ...the front wheels will lift ...no problem ...lift them as high as you can with your bucket ...again, no problem ...now inch up or down the fall line and do the same ...no problem ...no way the tractor can do a "nose-over" or tail-over" and it's not going for a sleigh ride, either because your bucket is anchoring it ...indeed, that's the best way to park on a slope rather than rely solely on the "parking brake", drop the rear implement and raise the front wheels slightly. This front-wheel-raising exercise is important for when you get your toothbar and start digging into your concrete berm.

Pointing directly up or down the fall line, you will become comfortable with raising both front wheels (evenly) off the ground. Now, here's something that will make you very uncomfortable: your bucket catches, say a root, on either end of the bucket and you attempt to raise the bucket (or grapple) to worry the root out. The forces are unequal ...one side of your bucket is raising, the other is anchored and now you are raising only one wheel and your tractor is tipping sideways ...fortunately your hand is still on the joystick and you cancel the bucket lift ...and, of course, your ROPS is in place and your seatbelt is tight. This situation is scary, although you might now try little increments as confidence builders because, contrary to what your digestive tract is telling you, that wheel can come up a ways before ...well, you get the picture. It is this imbalance, incidentally, why we are discouraged from welding chain hooks on the bucket, except, perhaps in the middle.

There is one situation in which you could make your tractor do a "wheelie" and go nose up, over your tail...pulling a load by attaching rope/chain high up on the rear of the tractor (say, the ROPS) ...the load sticks, the rear wheels torque, and the tractor rotates around the rear axle. Any pulling should be from your drawbar, at or below the level of the rear axle. So, your real enemies are steep sidehills (i.e., across the fall line) or immovable objects you are trying to lift of pull. If in 4wd, with the engine braking, your tractor can probably go up or down a fall line much steeper than you will ever dare attempt (but if you do, make sure there is a flatter "run out" at the bottom)...It is the dynamics of lifting or pulling that get you into trouble.

Of course, this is just my take and no substitute for your own judgement or practice ...I would my original advice--ROPS, seat belt and toothbar, and confidence building exercises in a safe environment ...cutting the berm can probably wait a few seat-hours. sorry to be so longwinded

/ "Tactical" Question FEL on steep hill #32  
One other thing to consider is to have a spotter on the ground working with you. Sometimes it is difficult to see where the bucket is even on flat ground, much less on a slope. They can help you.

Also, having someone nearby is a good safety precaution, in case you run into problems.

Good Luck.

/ "Tactical" Question FEL on steep hill #33  
Moss, Can you post a picture of your tractor?

da Teacha, Howdy... About using the rear implement (probably a box blade) as wheelie stops... My 3PH provides no hydraulic down force and depends on gravity. No matter where I position the box in a potential backwards roll over it will ride up to its highest position and provide very little roll protection. By the time it hits the limits I may be past the point of no return, depending of course on many factors. It may be better than nothing, but not enough to give me much confidence.

I'd hate to think we gave someone a false sense of confidence and they went out and rolled over backwards because they thought the box blade would save them.

I have been so nose high that the hydrostat lost access to fluid and there was no torque to the wheels. If my momentum would have carried me beyond that point it could have been dicey. Luckily I got there at a slow speed. I do not rely on that "feature" to keep me safe.

Maybe dynamite would be safer to reduce the size of the berm. Certainly would be more fun.

Pat

/ "Tactical" Question FEL on steep hill #34  
Yeah, Pat, I don't know of any 3 point with hydraulic downforce. That's why I said to set the thing at the lowest setting -- mine has 3 holes in each lift arm -- and lift it. With a box blade, that should put the bottom of the blade pretty close to the axle center, which in turn should be enough to prevent a flip.

A loaded bucket uphill from the tractor and lifted might be enough to pass the point of no return. It isn't likely, but I would hesitate to raise my DX29's bucket to full height even if it was empty if I was on a hill. The length of the arms on the CNH loaders give a lot of reach but also a lot of leverage that can work against you in the wrong situation.

With a new operator, the odds of being exactly on the "fall line" are pretty slight. With dirt being dug up, soft spots or the tires digging in are basically inevitable. The box blade used as a rear brace is a whole lot better than nothing back there, but the user needs to remember there is no help from it unless the thing is at the limit of lift.

I have my own pile to take apart and was working on it some last night. The poster might want to consider investing in a grapple for the FEL. I found that rolling the bucket forward with the grapple open lets me use the grapple hooks to tear loose the pile as I lower the bucket and back down the hill. Then the loose material is easily scooped up in the bucket and carried away. It works much better than simply digging into the pile with the bucket, even with the toothbar on.

/ "Tactical" Question FEL on steep hill #35  
da teacha, I did not know that a lack of hydraulic down force was considered standard. I'm still on my first tractor. You are right that the box is better than nothing back there. I'd have long since chickened out before I got to an angle where it would stop me from leaning back further.

I nearly got trapped atop a dirt pile when the tranny quit pumping and the box blade was touching the ground behind me acting like a ratchet to let me go forward but not back. I eventualy got it to back up just a tad by coaxing with the FEL. Is getting your nose too high up of an angle and running out of fluid to the HST a common thing or is that a "special" feature that I have?

Pat (the student)

/ "Tactical" Question FEL on steep hill #36  
On the thought of the box blade providing some added safety from rear tip. I personally don't think that it would help any what so ever given that the third arm will bend and then everything back there will fold up. But the reason that I am posting is to say that the box blade will come up to say thirty degrees as it floats up. Then, the tractor is on a thirty degrees slope. That adds up to 60 degrees. The tractor is going over even if the third arm didn't bend and it will fold up. No matter what any of us say, PLEASE be careful when you are working on a slope like that whether you are working it up or down. Go slow and take it easy. If one way doesn't feel right you can alway try a different way.

Last edited:
   / "Tactical" Question FEL on steep hill #37  
patrick_g said:
Moss, Can you post a picture of your tractor?

Pat

You can see pictures of MossRoad's PT-425 here:

PT425 Home Page

My PT-425 is the same as his, just a few months older...

/ "Tactical" Question FEL on steep hill #38  
KentT said:
You can see pictures of MossRoad's PT-425 here: My PT-425 is the same as his, just a few months older...

Thanks a lot for the URL. Interesting equipment. I never saw one of those before. It is too small for my needs but I'm sure there are tasks at which it excels. When "ARTICULATED" is mentioned I always thought of much bigger machines than I would be interested in, not smaller.

I tried to "RIGHT SIZE" my tractor and suppose I got close since it is too small and underpowered just about as often as it is too big to get in or maneuver where I want. Most of the time it is just about exactly what I need (Kubota Grand L-4610HSTC) My favorite two features are HST and A/C.

Pat

/ "Tactical" Question FEL on steep hill
WOW! lot's of replies...Dunno why I did not get an e-mail this time, usually works. I visited the site yesterday afternoon after work and took some pictures. As N80 knows we have had a day full of showers yesterday and I woke up to thunder at 6 today so I doubt I can do anything in the mud.

I did take some additional photos and I got to DL them. As for some of the comments.

The berm is not as big as some have thought with comments of TNT (which WOULD be fun) these are just small piles which have hardened up over the past couple of months (clay). They were created by the loggers thinking they were doing me a favor by making an errosion bar. They just took a dozer and pushed till' the blade was full, not a bar but more like a wall. What makes it difficult is the stumps left, the wall to wall branches from the de-limber some of which are 2-3 inches round which act as good rollers and the carpet of pine needles which add to the lack of traction.

My WR-Long root grapple is not in yet "any day now" is what I hear and I also requested a tooth bar. Think it's a bit expensive at $325 but I'll save on shipping and I think even the bolt on's need to have holes drilled which I don't feel like doing right now. I'd need to drag a generator to the site and all I have on-site are a few cheap chineese dollar store hand tools. Maybe next week both will be installed and I'll have it back by the weekend.

Later on today I'll get some of the photos that I have of the trail and the berm's posted. What I also found was one trail has 3 successive piles in a very short distance (15 or so feet). That's going to become a pain but lot's more practice. BUT as far as some of the other hills I have seen pictured (3RRL) I do not believe mine are QUITE as bad. The dirt type is much different and the traction will be different due to the pine needles and branches/stumps but not as steep. It's tough to tell since the land is not fully cleared and it's difficult to stand away and get a good view from a distance I don't THINK it's as bad but it is close to the one where the tractor is pictured.

And while I am typing this I decided I can't stay away from the new toy and jobs any longer. I think it's too wet to do anything but I got a raincoat for showers. I am going to head that way right now and see if I can get some more hours under my belt even though I probably will not try the slope all wet. Work was doable at 5pm last night when I was there, no way to tell unless I go and see how muddy this play dough is now as N80 calls it.

/ "Tactical" Question FEL on steep hill #40  
JerryG said:
On the thought of the box blade providing some added safety from rear tip. I personally don't think that it would help any what so ever given that the third arm will bend and then everything back there will fold up. But the reason that I am posting is to say that the box blade will come up to say thirty degrees as it floats up. Then, the tractor is on a thirty degrees slope. That adds up to 60 degrees. The tractor is going over even if the third arm didn't bend and it will fold up. No matter what any of us say, PLEASE be careful when you are working on a slope like that whether you are working it up or down. Go slow and take it easy. If one way doesn't feel right you can alway try a different way.
JerryG, right on! About the easiest and best warning Ive found is touchdown of the tail wheel on a bushog. Its definitely not a wheely bar, but it happens early enuf that an attentive operator can easily arrest rise of the front end and change tactics.
larry