Love My New Toothbar

/ Love My New Toothbar #11  
Hey Chuck
How about a tread on that Barn. I love those doors on the overhead trolley. Looks like it might be an interesting building.

The tooth bar is a must have for any tractor. The strength it adds to the bucket not to mention the digging ability is well worth the cost.

Chuck you really do need to use that bucket more. You haven't even gone through the primer yet. I see your enjoying life with a brush grapple LOL

/ Love My New Toothbar #12  
i don't have any pics of mine but it was just installed a few weeks ago and it came from markham, they had some problems with their bar stock distributer so mine took about a 2 weeks to recieve once i finally placed the order but no worries. i had them add an extra tooth to it so i have a total of 7 on a 60" bar. it does a marvelous job of anything i throw at it from digging up small stumps and blackberry roots to pulling the vines from the trees to loosening virgin soil to popping out rocks, etc, etc, etc.. i have even used it as a "short" extension to haul 2x's and 8 ft logs. it has increased the performance of the FEL bucket 10 fold and I can't think of any reason to remove it. total with shipping was under $300. personally for small farm/hobby farm use, i think every tractor FEL should ship with one.

go get one. :)

cheers,
bigballer

/ Love My New Toothbar
Pictures of my NH's HD 60" (ie 58.75") toothbar designed for buckets with an installed bolt on cutting edge. It is heavy duty and seems able to dig up some nice size rocks in NE mud. Am I happy with the fit? - NO :(! Does it appear to work?- So far Yes :). Jay

Attachments

• DSC00610 (Small).JPG
    DSC00610 (Small).JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 424
  • DSC00613 (Small).JPG
    DSC00613 (Small).JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 369
   / Love My New Toothbar #14  
bigballer said:
. . .it has increased the performance of the FEL bucket 10 fold. . .

At least!!

It's the most bang for your buck to increase the utility of your tractor!:D

/ Love My New Toothbar #15  
jbrumberg said:
Pictures of my NH's HD 60" (ie 58.75") toothbar designed for buckets with an installed bolt on cutting edge. It is heavy duty and seems able to dig up some nice size rocks in NE mud. Am I happy with the fit? - NO :(! Does it appear to work?- So far Yes :). Jay

Uhhhh, Jay, why do you have such a big gap between the cutting edge and the inside of the shanks?? The shanks are supposed to be in intimate contact with the cutting edge, that's where the strength comes from. You WILL egg out the hole, bolts or both.

jb

/ Love My New Toothbar #16  
john_bud said:
Uhhhh, Jay, why do you have such a big gap between the cutting edge and the inside of the shanks?? The shanks are supposed to be in intimate contact with the cutting edge, that's where the strength comes from. You WILL egg out the hole, bolts or both.

jb

I guess that's true. I didn't notice that at first. The way that looks it appears as though all the force will be absorbed by the bolts instead of dispersed over the (much stronger) cutting edge. I don't think those poor bolts will hold out very long with those demands. Perhaps if you loosened the bolts, pushed the bar back some, then re-tightened the bolts you'd be set. It appears as though the bolt holes are oblong and may allow for this. If you look closely at the photo of mine I posted earlier with it curled you can see the "lip" on the underside of each shank pressed snugly against the cutting edge.

/ Love My New Toothbar
The bolts are not "egged" (yet) but the bolts at somewhat "angled" towards the front of the bucket. Their angle to the bucket is about the angle and distance the cutting bar and shanks would have made had the shanks and cutting bar edge been in contact. Thanks for the ideas/thoughts- I will give them a try :). I too am worried abut those carriage bolts- I purchased another pair on the internet; I did experience some degree of "sticker shock" :eek: at the price. It appears to me that the design is just a minor variation to the 60" (ie 58") tooth bar designed for the bucket without a bolt on cutting bar, and that my "adjustment" challenges are related to all the extra 3/8" steel welded on the HD bucket. Jay

Last edited:
   / Love My New Toothbar #18  
This is dissapointing to hear about your toothbar, I was just about ready to take the plunge and get one from NH so that it would fit over my bolt on edge and HD bucket.

Someone must have a good product that will adapt to the HD bucket with bolt on edge. Guess I am going to call up a company called Berlon and see what they have to say. They have a toothbar that adjusts and pulls up tight to the edge.

/ Love My New Toothbar
dknarnd:

I was interested in the Berlon toothbar due to that adjusting bolt that pulls the toothbar snug to the cutting bar edge. I was concerned about its compatibility with the NH HD bucket and bolt on cutting edge, so I went with NH. Based on my experience you should seriously research out the Berlon toothbar.

john budd and Glowplug:

I took my "adjuster" hand sledge and tried to make the necessary adjustments to no avail :(. The carriage bolts are designed to "slide" in the toothbar side brackets so this would not be a problem with my new drilled out holes (The original holes are too far forward.). My problem is my cutting bar mounting nuts and the extra 3/8" steel they welded on my HD bucket. Despite my adjusment "taps" the toothbar hangs up on the extra welded on metal just before it would run into the mounting nuts. This appears to take some of the "load" off the side bolts, but not as much as if the toothbar and cutting edge were snug. The toothbar would probably snug up if I took off the cutting edge, but that is not why I purchased this style of toothbar. I wonder if I got the wrong style toothbar :confused: despite the parts person's efforts with my order.

bigballer and Glowplug:

Despite the "fit" it really increases the performance of the FEL exponentially. I can dig up and move rocks that I could not move before :D!.

Jay

/ Love My New Toothbar #20  
Jay,

I talked to Berlon today and I need to take some measurements to see if it will work. My notes are at work but I think they said the thickness of the bucket and cutting edge it is designed for is 3/4". They will sell the bar unpainted and without the teeth welded on for somewhere around $500. If I could bring the bucket in for them to locate the attachment bolts for the cutting edge they would make it complete for me but without knowing the bolt pattern they do not want to complete it.

I really want the toothbar but want one that fits over the bolt on edge.