I USED to want a HST, not anymore!

/ I USED to want a HST, not anymore! #1  

Coyote

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2000B & Skat Trak 1300D skid steer
I borrowed a JD with HST, (my tractor is old and geared). I thought I was going to be ruined, but actually the opposite happened. I'm used to "set it and forget it" ex: when bushhogging, set the speed and go. With HST you have keep that pedal pressed the whole time. My leg got tired! I guess I can see the benefit if you are doing a lot of back and forth loader work, but for anything else, give me a clutch! (I mostly disk and bushhog)

/ I USED to want a HST, not anymore! #2  
Coyote said:
I borrowed a JD with HST, (my tractor is old and geared). I thought I was going to be ruined, but actually the opposite happened. I'm used to "set it and forget it" ex: when bushhogging, set the speed and go. With HST you have keep that pedal pressed the whole time. My leg got tired! I guess I can see the benefit if you are doing a lot of back and forth loader work, but for anything else, give me a clutch! (I mostly disk and bushhog)
Cruise control. It's a standard feature on the B7800. :D :D

/ I USED to want a HST, not anymore! #3  
I don't know about all the John Deere models, but I sure would think it would have a speed set device of some kind, if not an actual cruise control so you wouldn't have to keep the pedal pressed down. Sounds to me like operator error, but maybe I'm wrong.:D

/ I USED to want a HST, not anymore! #4  
Most HST tractors have cruise control. Too bad neither I nor the salesman told my wife that before she drove the L5030HST and TC45DA (HST). She had the same complaint you do. Otherwise I would probably have one of those now!

/ I USED to want a HST, not anymore! #5  
cruise my friend.... simple little button on the dash of my TC! :D

Last edited:
   / I USED to want a HST, not anymore! #6  
I got cruise, little lever under the dash.

/ I USED to want a HST, not anymore! #7  
L5030 has cruise control lever right under left hand. Get to the speed you want, adjust lever, lift foot and drive. Hit brakes as necessary.... drops out of cruise control..... the harder you hit the brakes, the faster the cruse control lever returns to zero position.

I seldom use it but it's nice to have when running at the same speed for long time.

/ I USED to want a HST, not anymore! #8  
Cruise control is just a lever away on my little Kioti, unless you want to brush-hog in reverse.:D

/ I USED to want a HST, not anymore! #9  
Funny, I have to have a place to rest my foot on my BX, the pedal seems handy and requires next-to-no effort to go forward and is dampened to absorb shocks over rough terrain. Reverse is rather stiff, as I want it. Guess there's yet another reason that I'm glad I got the BX :D

/ I USED to want a HST, not anymore! #10  
Coyote said:

What HST JD was it, most come with cruise as standard equipment, I think.

Cliff