Update on the old Oliver

/ Update on the old Oliver #1  

daTeacha

Veteran Member
HELP! I ACCIDENTALLY PUT THIS IN THE WRONG FORUM! Can someone move it to the general forum about owning and operating? Delete this confession of idiocy if you can, too, please.

Some of you may remember a series of posts last fall about a female student who was restoring an old Oliver tractor. I had posted regarding the wisdom of using two new pistons that were 12 ounces heavier than the remaining two originals. The general concensus was to not do it, bite the financial bullet and buy 4 matched pistons.

There was also some discussion about the position of the heavy ones with respect to the light ones for minimizing stresses and vibration, etc.

The tractor is assembled and running with the two heav pistons in either 1 and 3 or 2 and 4, I don't recall which. The guy who owns the tractor and the girl took it to a local shop with a dyno that measures horsepower from the belt drive, more or less equivalent to PTO horsepower.

The girl just told me that it ran smoothly throughout the testing protocol and was showing 70 hp at the pulley. Not bad for a tractor that was sold as having 60 some engine hp!

/ Update on the old Oliver #2  
I moved the thread - but deleting the "confession of idiocy" costs extra... :rolleyes: Although - if you get to it in 24 hours you can.

Glad to hear the old girl is up and running.

/ Update on the old Oliver #3  
Congratulations on finishing the project. It's always nice to hear how these things turn out. Thanks.

Eddie

/ Update on the old Oliver #4  
Afternoon Rich,
I remember the old thread ! Glad it worked out OK. Those old tractors were way over engineered, but then again thats why there still around today ! The old Farmalls spin on the top end at a whopping 1400 rpm, not too much can go wrong with that kind of engine speed ! ;)