Tires Antifreeze in tires or not?

/ Antifreeze in tires or not? #11  
Matt, I forgot to mention that it is more the average temperature than the overnight low that should concern you. Several gallons of water won't freeze solid unless the average temp is enough below freezing for long enough time to allow all the heat from change of state (water to ice) to get out of the tires. Yo won't need to put a blanket over the tires (electric or otherwise) unless the average overnight temp is well below freezing.

Pat

/ Antifreeze in tires or not? #12  
matt16631 said:
I live in northern California. Winters here have occasional stretches of overnight lows in the high 20's. Freezing temps usually subside by mid morning. Most overnight lows are in the low to mid 30's and 40's. My question: do I need antifreeze in my rear tires to prevent freezing?
First, I don't think your tires will freeze. It would take a lot longer than a few hours of below 32 degree temps to get them to freeze.

Second, anti-freeze is very toxic, it is also sweet smelling and attractive to kids and dogs. A tablespoon will kill a large German Shepard sized animal. So if you ever have a leak, you will have a serious toxic waste problem that could cause a personal tragedy. There are many better things to fill your tires with than anti-freeze. They were mentioned in this thread.

/ Antifreeze in tires or not? #13  
Bob_Skurka said:
Second, anti-freeze is very toxic, it is also sweet smelling and attractive to kids and dogs. A tablespoon will kill a large German Shepard sized animal. So if you ever have a leak, you will have a serious toxic waste problem that could cause a personal tragedy. There are many better things to fill your tires with than anti-freeze. They were mentioned in this thread.

Bob I agree with your intent just not the "broad" use of the term anti-freeze. Ethylene glycol is the BAD stuff while Propylene glycol, is used in all the newer cars and used in winterizing drinking water tanks and plumbing in RV's, is not a big time villain. It is not an environmental disaster waiting for a chance to happen. I would certainly favor it over wood alcohol (methanol.)

Propelene vs Ethelene Glycol

Pat

/ Antifreeze in tires or not? #14  
Don't worry, Global Warming will take care of any freezing worries!