IH 886 dash light problem...means what?

/ IH 886 dash light problem...means what? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Here's pic of it. Don't know what it means, it comes on and goes back out. New tractor to us so I don't have any history with it.

I THINK the light was coming on a bit when I applied the brakes, then again, later on, I specifically looked and it was NOT coming on when brakes were applied.

So, if you know what this light is for, I'd love to know...also, there was a light NEXT to it, immediate right. As I recall, I've only seen the right light on once and I THINK it looked something like a rain drop.

I know a raindrop isn't a great description but I only saw it for a moment and wasn't really looking at it. It's not been on since NOR do they come on when you simply turn the key on (machine off). I don't see any kind of dash light test button so I don't know how to make it come on.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

:)

Attachments

• Dash.JPG
    Dash.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 3,284
   / IH 886 dash light problem...means what? #2  
Does the light come on with just the clutch pushed down? I believe some of our older IH have a similar light that comes on when the clutch is depressed. If so, that is normal for those tractors. Check it out next time you run the tractor.

/ IH 886 dash light problem...means what?
Well Radman, I'm sitting here trying to think... I'll check it out but if I had to guess, I'd say the clutch was not an issue. Meaning, although it MIGHT have been on once clutch was depressed...it's been on while I've been sitting there idling (clutch out) and as I recall, it's been on while moving. The only vague thought I have is I DO think I saw it come on a couple times while I was hitting the brake.

Do you (or anyone?) know if this machine has traditional brakes? (pedal connected to master cylinder kinda thing)

I ask that because at one point the brake pedal goes to floor as though it has no brakes. While I was cutting other day, I hit the brake to turn and WOWZEEEEEEEEE, this thing turned on a dime and gave me a quarter for change!

our IH 444 has sucky brakes and you have to apply about 15 tons of pressure on them to get a HINT of them working. This tractor... if you hit the brake it will be a springy pedal, then all the sudden, it's like there is pressure line attached to it and you can FEEL the pressure in the system as the pedal pushes back out against your foot.

Something different about these brakes, aside from they evidenlty work.

I just can't get over how freaking STRONG they are when you simply touch them to turn. I LOVE it. They're like power brakes on steroids!! Probalby made much more dramatic by the sucky brakes we've become used to on the 444.

/ IH 886 dash light problem...means what? #5  
JPFSR said:
Richard,

On IH's, that's the oil pressure light.

This thread is a duplicate. I mentioned that in the OTHER edition. That oil drop is a universal oil pressure indicator light. Same on all brands. On my Deere 2440, the oil light flickers when you first start the engine, but goes away as soon as you crack the throttle, never to be seen again until the next time the engine is started up. Has done that from day one. If it appeared while at operating temps, I'd be finding out why. Could be as simple as a bad idiot light or sending unit. Or.... It could be the reason why previous owner doesn't still have the tractor.

/ IH 886 dash light problem...means what? #6  
I agree it is an oil pressure light. But if my memory is correct, I think the light may come on normally when the clutch is depressed. Give it a try. If not, maybe a sensor?

/ IH 886 dash light problem...means what? #7  
radman1 said:
I agree it is an oil pressure light. But if my memory is correct, I think the light may come on normally when the clutch is depressed. Give it a try.

I can't think of any reason why that would happen. I'm not too familiar with the 886, but I've owned a 574, and worked on my brothers 756 until I'm sick of looking at it, and never noticed the oil light on for any reason. But then again, those ol' binders have their oddities like every other brand.

/ IH 886 dash light problem...means what? #8  
one thing to think about when working on older tractors is the people who have worked on it before. The light you have showing is an oil light,but is it connected to the oil sensor? or the temp sensor? brake sensor? voltage sensor?

I have a buddy with an older ford that the oil light came on and stayed on ittermittantly, I put a gauge on instead of sensor he had plenty of oil pressure, we changed sending unit, light stayed on, checked the wiring and the voltage sensor was misswired to the oil sensor.

If I had a tractor with an oil light on I would not run it without verifing I had oil pressure. I think harbor freight and autozone each have inexpensive gauges that you temporarily put in the place of the idiot light sensor.

/ IH 886 dash light problem...means what? #9  
Yup.. a sunpro gauge is about 10$.. good cheapy manual oil gauge.. good to keep in the tool box to troubleshoot bad senders.

You can get a pack of metric adapters for them too, if needed.. plus copper or vinyl capilary tubing.. etc..

soundguy

/ IH 886 dash light problem...means what? #10  
Soundguy said:
Yup.. a sunpro gauge is about 10$.. good cheapy manual oil gauge.. good to keep in the tool box to troubleshoot bad senders.

You can get a pack of metric adapters for them too, if needed.. plus copper or vinyl capilary tubing.. etc..

soundguy

Yessir, and for that matter, you can buy a top-of-the-line Stewart Warner oil pressure gauge and instal kit for under $40. You can't buy very many main bearings for $40.