Rhino blades for 10 footer

/ Rhino blades for 10 footer #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Father in law bought a used Rhino 10' rotary.

Looking under it, seems one of the blades, if not more, are somewhat "U" shaped where they've been bent upwards.

He doesn't want to replace them but so I'm going to try to straighten them out some with my backhoe.

I'm also going to order a new pair so I've got them on hand.

Spoke with Rhino this morning and found out the blades are "clockwise" blades AND "counter clockwise" blades. I didn't realize they might spin the shafts against each other

So... Rhino says of course, that I should use "THEIR" specific blades but I can't help but think TSC or the Co-op might have something like this??

Anyone know if I can get replacement blades (both rotating and counter rotating) at the store or must I deal with the dealer and get their 'brand' of blades?

One reason I ask this is the dealer doesn't have them in stock and they'll have to be ordered. If this is a 'standard' type item, then perhaps I can skip the waiting period.

/ Rhino blades for 10 footer
Well, I just ordered them new from the dealer, drop shipped from Rhino, $145 total for four.

Guess I'll try to beat out the bend in the one I saw and give them a "whirl" :D this weekend!

/ Rhino blades for 10 footer #3  
Feeling I get from most of the posters on this board is that bush hog blades should not be straightened. Not sure of why, but that is the general opinion.
A friend purchased a Kubota that turns backwards. It is a true grey market tractor and I gave him a woods RM42 for it. The blades turned the wrong way, so we were about to modify a set when he found a set at TSC.
Amazing some of the stuff you can get when you start hunting.
Good luck with the straightening,
David from jax

/ Rhino blades for 10 footer #4  
I wouldn't try to bend a blade either . Might be just fine.. course.. might break at the stress point of the bend too!!

Soundguy

/ Rhino blades for 10 footer #5  
If you're a metalurgist, a machinist, and a qualified engineer, PLUS willing to risk life, limb, and equipment, try straightening them. But to pound a bent bush hog blade into submission with a backhoe doesn't sound very scientific, nor very safe. How much is a fatal accident worth? $145? $500? Or a little less dramatic, how much is a tractor tire worth? Or a bush hog deck? If that blade does break, it's probably going to hit SOMETHING. Even if it lands harmlessly in the weeds in back of your mower, the risk is hardly worth the savings.

From a guy who's seen what happens when a bush hog blade breaks.

/ Rhino blades for 10 footer #6  
I have to violently agree with Farmwithjunk. Blades are tempered steel and while very strong, they are somewhat fragile and can break pretty easily. I have personally shot 1/2 of a blade off into the wild blue yonder.

Just use the new ones.