Converting 2wd to 4wd

/ Converting 2wd to 4wd #1  

rider

Is it possible to convert a Cub Cadet model 7272 2wd to a 4wd? The model built by Mitsubishi for Cub that was 4wd was the 7274 about ten years ago.

/ Converting 2wd to 4wd #2  
Sure is. Just open the hood and remove the radiator fill cap. Then put a 4wd tractor under it, then buy a new replacement fill cap.

Sorry for the smart a---lec answer, but the cheapest way to do that is to sell your tractor and buy a 4wd tractor. Anything else and the conversion costs will soon be more than the cost of a new tractor.

jb

/ Converting 2wd to 4wd
Thanks. I already knew that solution but can't quite see paying such a difference when I only have 337 hours on my 7272. I have been thinking about adding a fel but have hesitated due to the 2wd, although I do not plan to use the fel for hevy work just help out around the small acreage.

/ Converting 2wd to 4wd #4  
rider said:
Thanks. I already knew that solution but can't quite see paying such a difference when I only have 337 hours on my 7272. I have been thinking about adding a fel but have hesitated due to the 2wd, although I do not plan to use the fel for hevy work just help out around the small acreage.

You could add the FEL knowing this would not be optimal. Power steering would be of more value then 4WD, IMO. If your tractor doesn't have power steering, I don't think you should add the loader.

For small occasional jobs, I think you could get by without 4WD (or MFWD). Just because my 790 has 4WD doesn't mean I use it for every job (most though). There will be jobs requiring extra work due to the lack of 4WD...just depends if you can live with that.

Once you price out the FEL and hydraulics, you may decide to trade though.

/ Converting 2wd to 4wd #5  
Both 1955 vintage

2wd

No power steering

I agree with Roy....If ya got power steering.. your limited use FEL won't be too big of a problem...

Soundguy

rider said:
Is it possible to convert a Cub Cadet model 7272 2wd to a 4wd? The model built by Mitsubishi for Cub that was 4wd was the 7274 about ten years ago.

Attachments

• 850hay.jpg
    850hay.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 818
  • 660hay.jpg
    660hay.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 801
   / Converting 2wd to 4wd #6  
rider,

If you want to add an FEL, I agree with the others. You can do it, it will work - but not as well as a 4wd. But don't let that stop you! Tractors from the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's typically didn't have 4wd and many did have FEL's. It is critical that you have enough weight on the back. Rule of thumb is 1.25 x the FEL max capacity. If possible, fill the rear tires to help lower the center of gravity and then put a 3pt weight equal to 100% of the FEL capacity. If you can, use check chains to hold the load up. Not required, but benefitial to the hydraulics in the long term.

If you can, try and add even more 3pt weight in increments. Determine the sweet spot for steering and traction in the "bucket full" and "bucket empty" states. The rear weight will lighten the front end by lever action, but may lighten it too much with no load in the bucket.

jb

/ Converting 2wd to 4wd
Thank you guys for the good ideas. I do have power steering and tires are filled with liquid and I plan to leave the 500 lb Befco finishing mower on the tractor. This hope will provide the weight needed. One thing you don't seem to see with tractor manufacturers is how much weight can your front axle handle? This would seem to me to be a critical point whether 2wd or 4wd with a FEL.

/ Converting 2wd to 4wd #8  
My tractor is 2wd with a loader, but it is also a 55hp utility instead of a light compact, the rears are filled on mine with calcium and when doing loader work it is preferable to have a heavy implement on the back but it still performs well when bareback.... but again it is a heavier tractor with larger tires full of fluid..
If you are not in soft conditions, on hills or doing heavy work you should be ok with a 2wd heavily ballasted, but if you don't have power steering you would not be satisfied with a loader on it.

/ Converting 2wd to 4wd
Thanks birdhunter for the info. By the time I make up my mind what to do I probably won't need the loader!

/ Converting 2wd to 4wd #10  
rider said:
Thank you guys for the good ideas. I do have power steering and tires are filled with liquid and I plan to leave the 500 lb Befco finishing mower on the tractor. This hope will provide the weight needed. One thing you don't seem to see with tractor manufacturers is how much weight can your front axle handle? This would seem to me to be a critical point whether 2wd or 4wd with a FEL.

I don't like the way a tractor works with a loooong attachment on the back for loader work. There is a lot of bending forces as you do a lot of forward/backward and close quarters direction changes. I will work,but will be awkward.

It sounds like you wont be using it a lot - everyone says that BEFORE they have an FEL. It's a different story AFTER they get one though.

good luck,
jb