Ford 800 not getting power

/ Ford 800 not getting power #1  

flyfishchris

I have a ford 800 tractor, and I have only had it for 6 months so I don’t know it’s history but for the last six months it has been great!. Anyway while bush hogging the other day I noticed that the tractor didn’t seem to have as much power as it normally does. It started off great but about an hour into mowing it starting loosing power. It won’t even go up a small hill! This is true if the PTO is on or off and in any gear. If it gets a good running start on flat land it will make it up the hill but starting on any grade the tractor won’t budge. The engine is running fine with no noticeable changes and the PTO works fine too when the tractor is moving ok. It is like it just isn’t getting any power! As I said the engine sounds fine and the oil level is ok and the brakes aren’t set. Any suggestions or ideas what could be happening?? I though bad plugs or maybe the carb? I don’t have a lot of experience with this so any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

/ Ford 800 not getting power #2  
sounds like the clutch

/ Ford 800 not getting power
It goes into gear fine and I can engage the PTO fine also the clutch feels the same (firm not soft), could the clutch still be a culprit in this problem??

Thanks

/ Ford 800 not getting power #4  
I would focus on the fuel side first. Possibly with the warm weather, the fuel is heating up and starting to "vapor lock". Check the line from the tank to carb and put on a new filter. Make sure that you have good flow out of the tank with the cap on. Try and fill a 1 gal gas can from the tractor fuel line. It should flow the same rate the whole time. If it "gluggs" the vent in the cap could be clogged.

If it was the clutch slipping, I suspect you would smell it. Not always! but most of the time.

jb

If the fuel is OK, the coil may be dying. They do die and when weak they tend to get even weaker when hot.

/ Ford 800 not getting power #5  
I'd go with you're either not getting fuel or air and your machine isn't making power. It's also a possibiliity of contaminated fuel.
It's also possible you've slipped timing a bit...but let's not go there yet.

If you have a water seperator, check that. If there's water in there, you've got to drain it out.
Then, see if the tractor runs better. If everything works as expected, you're good to go (might not be a bad idea to drain the fuel tank and replace the fuel)

Then I suggest you buy air and fuel filters.

Replace the air filter first (least amount of work) and see how that does. If everything is cool, then you're done.

If the tractor still runs poorly, it's time for the fuel filter...see what happens.
If OK, again, you're good to go...

John_bud's got some great tips...and I'm sure SoundGuy (the Wizard of Ancient Iron) will chime in any second now...

Personally, I don't think it's the clutch.

/ Ford 800 not getting power #6  
Sounds like an excuse to buy a NEW tractor!

mark

/ Ford 800 not getting power
wont go there about getting a new tractor, I think my wife might shoot me! I

/ Ford 800 not getting power #8  
RoyJackson said:
Then I suggest you buy air and fuel filters.

Replace the air filter first (least amount of work) and see how that does. If everything is cool, then you're done.

FYI - Roy has some good thoughts on this, except the Ford 800 has an oil bath air cleaner. Must be taken apart and cleaned then put in new 10w30 oil (15w40 if you live where it's HOT). Drop the oil cup, dump the oil, clean it all out and refill.

Still, the thought is correct, could be lack of air. That's one I missed!

jb

/ Ford 800 not getting power #9  
flyfishchris said:
I have a ford 800 tractor, and I have only had it for 6 months so I don’t know it’s history but for the last six months it has been great!. Anyway while bush hogging the other day I noticed that the tractor didn’t seem to have as much power as it normally does. It started off great but about an hour into mowing it starting loosing power. It won’t even go up a small hill! This is true if the PTO is on or off and in any gear. If it gets a good running start on flat land it will make it up the hill but starting on any grade the tractor won’t budge. The engine is running fine with no noticeable changes and the PTO works fine too when the tractor is moving ok. It is like it just isn’t getting any power! As I said the engine sounds fine and the oil level is ok and the brakes aren’t set. Any suggestions or ideas what could be happening?? I though bad plugs or maybe the carb? I don’t have a lot of experience with this so any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

I'm a bit confused. When you're reporting "losing power" IS or ISN'T the engine running correctly. If it IS, clutch or tranny. Is this a Selecto-Speed per chance? (10 speed "automatic")

Just a thought, probably miles off base, but the very first tractor I ever owned, a Ferguson TO-30, had a problem that sounds simular. I'd run it for a while as it slowly lost power. It would finally quit running. It wouldn't start. It ACTED like the engine was siezing. I'd let it cool down, get dads tractor to jump start it, and go again for a while, finally repeating the same scenario over and over. Being a 13 year old kid, I never did think the ammeter not working meant anything much. Lo and behold, the generator was bad. No juice, no ignition once the battery was drained. While I was jump starting it with dads tractor, I'd put a little juice back in the battery. Things would work for a while, then repeat. I'll never be convinced dad didn't know what was wrong all the while and just let me figure it out for myself. He was like that.

Also, I've had ignition coils that would get hot and cause the engine to fade away slowly. Let it cool off and things would come back to life. 1,000,001 possibilities. Start with the simple and work your way through the list.