Helpful hint for all

/ Helpful hint for all #1  

BTI

Platinum Member
Tractor
CK20S Hydro TLB-LK3054-CK30H
We have had dry weather in our area for a good while now.
Here at the shop we have been called alot more than usual about overheating.
It's been brand blind.....has effected old and new alike.
If your unit gets warmer than normal, clean the screen.
While you are there, with the unit off try to look thru the radiator.
Not just the center but all around.
If you can't see thru it use an air hose to clean it.
Then use a hose with good pressure or CAREFULLY use a pressure washer.
The pressure washer takes more care but does a better job.
Be sure to let the radiator dry before continuing, if not it just gives the dust and debris a sticky place to land.
One customer was sure they needed a head gasket replacement or had a cracked head.
Screen was clean, but the radiator fins deep inside were full.
They weren't blinded, you could not tell it was plugged.
Only by looking "thru" the radiator could you tell how bad it was.

Thought it might save you all a few headaches.

BTI

/ Helpful hint for all #2  
Sage advice. Very rarely do I check my radiators' fins.

/ Helpful hint for all #3  
BTI:

Thanks for the suggestion :). I noticed that I was running a little hotter than normal while tilling recently. I will check out my radiator prior to my next tractor use. Jay

/ Helpful hint for all #4  
BTI said:
Be sure to let the radiator dry before continuing, if not it just gives the dust and debris a sticky place to land.
One customer was sure they needed a head gasket replacement or had a cracked head.

BTI

Good advice! A step further, in dry, dusty conditions, keep a close watch on AIR FILTERS too. If they get restricted, in addition to lowering over-all engine performance, you'll get a little extra heat build-up too.

In a sense, the radiator is a filter of sorts. (for cooling air) The life of any engine is keeping clean filters, clean and fresh fluids, along with proper operating temps.

/ Helpful hint for all #5  
BTI, I want to thank you for this post.
I usually blow out the radiator when I'm in there cleaing out the screen at home and just use a air hose.
But, I saw your pressure washer idea and thought "dang, that's a good idea"

So, to test, i blew everything out like i normally do with the air hose (and lots came out, we've been busy) and then I fired up the pressure washer and let her rip

OH MY

You can't believe how much stuff came out, I'm appalled.
I'm hoping it runs MUCH cooler.
Thanks.

/ Helpful hint for all #6  
LoneCowboy said:
BTI, I want to thank you for this post.
I usually blow out the radiator when I'm in there cleaing out the screen at home and just use a air hose.
But, I saw your pressure washer idea and thought "dang, that's a good idea"

So, to test, i blew everything out like i normally do with the air hose (and lots came out, we've been busy) and then I fired up the pressure washer and let her rip

OH MY

You can't believe how much stuff came out, I'm appalled.
I'm hoping it runs MUCH cooler.
Thanks.

Just be careful with that pressure washer. They can bend the fins over on the radiator turning it into a decorative - not funtional - piece.

I do have to admit that overheating has not been on my mind. Yesterday it barely go to 70. In the morings it's been low 40's high 30's. In fact, it's been so cold, I haven't planted any buckwheat as it would die from the sporatic frost that has been forming in the low spots!

jb

/ Helpful hint for all #7  
Good evening john_bud; Are you planting buck wheat as a filler crop? Down here in southwest Alabama I plant some in with my deer plots. I sure would like to swap you some of this hot dry weather we're having for some of that cool weather you've got. Do you think that buck wheat helps build up the soil?Have a good day.

/ Helpful hint for all #8  
Is there any detergent that should be used and/or avoided with respect to cleaning the radiator fins... I think the guys that clean A/C outside units typically use some kind of cleaning solution along with a garden hose spray....

/ Helpful hint for all #9  
BTI said:

BTI

The radiator fins on the 1966 MF-135 I bought last July were more than 50% clogged. I used my Coleman pressure washer and the spray nozzle with the widest spread to keep the impact pressure as low as possible. Even then some of the aluminum fins were bent and I had to use a knife blade to straighten them. I eventually had to detail the radiator by hand, a tedious job that took the better part of two days to do the job right. Lesson learned: those radiator fins are really fragile.

/ Helpful hint for all #10  
I have used oven cleaner on brass radiators for years. You will think that your radiator is really clean and then use oven cleaner and it is amazing how much junk will come out. I spray it on and let set for about 5 minutes, then wash with the garden hose. I don't think that I would use it on an aluminum radiator.