What did I break?

/ What did I break? #1  

slim

Tractor
New Holland TC40DA
While running the brush hog, I hit a decent size rock. The unit on the shaft of my "Bush Hog-Squealer" broke where it attaches to the pto of the tractor.

What is that part? Is it difficult to replace my self? How much does it cost? Other than avoiding the rock, what can I do to avoid this again. I have 60 hours on my NH tc40da. I just back from 50 hour service at dealer. I have probably 10-15 hours on the brush hog. I did notice the pto shaft was dry compared to when I first hooked up brush hog. I don't know if that matters.

Could I get a replacement at TSC store or do I have to go to a dealer that handles Bush Hog?

As always, thanks for the help.

/ What did I break? #2  
First, pull out you manual and read it!

If you do not have your manual, go to the Bush Hog website. There is an online manual here.

Without looking at your cutter, I'm guessing you broke a shear pin. This pin is designed to break if you hit an obstruction.
Replacement of this pin is described, in detail, on page 12 of the manual.

Since you write that's it's broken by the tractor, it could be the slip clutch which is also described in detail in your manual.

Once you have read your manual, you should be able to determine what the exact problem is and how to repair it.

If you still have questions...well, here we are...it'd be nice to have some pictures though...

You'll find that the great majority of any questions can be resolved by reading and understanding your manual

Last edited:
   / What did I break? #3  
Welcome to TBN slim, any pics? I would think that you should have had a shear pin to keep this kind of thing from happening. Is the part that broke on the tractor end of the pto shaft? I'm hoping it wasn't the pto on the tractor that broke?

/ What did I break? #4  
From the description, it sounds like you might have broke the yoke of the front u-joint. They're available seperately (instead of buying an entire pto shaft) But ask yourself why that part broke instead of the shear pin, if in fact you did break that yoke.

Heed Roy's GIANT message. Read and learn the info in the manual.

and, uh, Roy.... Am I going to need to wear a welding hood to buffer your posting from now on? LOL!

/ What did I break? #5  
Roy,

Come on now, try and be a bit nice to the new guy. He has 3000 fewer posts than you, a new tractor and a new cutter. Having that shiny new expensive equipment fail is scary. (Reading your BIG post is scarier...)

jb

/ What did I break? #6  
I am being nice...

Read my signature...

/ What did I break? #8  
tuolumne said:
So...these are not opinions anymore?:D

Yeah, they are...but they're going to be nice opinions...

/ What did I break? #9  
RoyJackson said:
I am being nice...

Read my signature...

Roy,

I don't know about being nice, but you sure did make me laugh!

Good job!

jb

/ What did I break? #10  
I'm still waiting to find out what broke. From the info in the otiginal post could be anything from some ORC, to a yoke.. to a slip clutch.....

This is deffinately one of those times when a pic is worth 1k-words

Soundguy