Transmission oil questions

/ Transmission oil questions #1  

Laneman950

Tractor
John Deere 950
I picked up a nice 1983 John Deere 950 and am doing routine maintenance before I use it. The transmission is a standard stick, not a hydro. The oil is also used by the hydraulic system. I noticed the transmission oil is the color of motor oil, but I was expecting red, since it is also used for the hydraulics. Did the seller put in the wrong oil? The book says to use John Deere Hy-Gard Transmission and Hydraulic Oil.

If I have to change the oil, is there a good equivalent to the dealer oil (which I expect would be very pricey)

/ Transmission oil questions #2  
It's very likely the PO used a generic UTF oil that met the JD 303/hyguard specs. I've seen everything from maple syrup brown to honey yellow.. to 'atf' red and even 'emerald green' UTF oils... ( blue gear oil too.. )

Find a utf bottle and look for your specs.. places like walmart and TSC sell generic utf.. as well as carquest and napa...

Soundguy

/ Transmission oil questions #3  
As soundguy refers to, it is merely a dye... the days of telling some fluids by color is long gone.. Just like B&M Trick Shift Fluid.... Petroleum Type "F" Fluid with a Blue dye and 5 bucks a quart.. could almost buy synthetic for that price..

Doc

/ Transmission oil questions #4  
Another thing to remember is that your dealer may not be the most expensive on oil either. I had a customer tell me just yesterday that he went to buy his hytran oil from Napa Thursday and they wanted 72.00 for 5 gallons.
He came to use and bought it from us it was only 52.00 in our store and the right oil for the machine.

/ Transmission oil questions #5  
NHGUY said:
Another thing to remember is that your dealer may not be the most expensive on oil either. I had a customer tell me just yesterday that he went to buy his hytran oil from Napa Thursday and they wanted 72.00 for 5 gallons.
He came to use and bought it from us it was only 52.00 in our store and the right oil for the machine.

I've found this to be true in a number of cases. Most of us just assume that a dealer is the most expensive place to buy certain items. I buy a lot of my oil, and most all of my paint at either a John Deere dealer or a Massey Ferguson/AGCO dealer I trade with. Wasn't always the case, but I overheard a price being quoted over the phone by the parts man at the Deere dealer one day......just minutes after I'd paid quite a bit more for 20 gallons of Hy-Tran at NAPA. Nowdays I ask first.

/ Transmission oil questions #6  
They either dye the oil or the additives dye it. It comes from the lube oil refineries looking like water. Both 5w hydraulic and transmission oils plus 10w engine oils are water white clear from the refineries. Hydrotreated and syntheics, even 30 w, will also be water white before additives or dyes are put in. Different blenders use different colors. Some don't color it.

Ralph

/ Transmission oil questions #7  
Laneman950 said:
I picked up a nice 1983 John Deere 950 and am doing routine maintenance before I use it. The transmission is a standard stick, not a hydro. The oil is also used by the hydraulic system. I noticed the transmission oil is the color of motor oil, but I was expecting red, since it is also used for the hydraulics. Did the seller put in the wrong oil? The book says to use John Deere Hy-Gard Transmission and Hydraulic Oil.

If I have to change the oil, is there a good equivalent to the dealer oil (which I expect would be very pricey)

According to the PO of the 1966 MF-135 diesel that I bought last July, he and his dad used 90W gear oil in the tranny since they acquired the tractor in the mid-1970s. Seems to work OK and is about the cheapest stuff you can buy. I talked to the mechanic who serviced the hydraulic unit on that tractor before I bought it and he said go ahead and keep using the 90W.

/ Transmission oil questions #8  
I've found that with most filters too.. My CNH dealer has all cheaper filters for my 5000 and 7610s.. vs napa.. I have found that I could save a couple bucks by mixing and matching trhe 6-7 filters i need.. but for the small dollar savings on the filters.. I'd rather support my dealer..

soundguy

Farmwithjunk said:
I've found this to be true in a number of cases. Most of us just assume that a dealer is the most expensive place to buy certain items. I buy a lot of my oil, and most all of my paint at either a John Deere dealer or a Massey Ferguson/AGCO dealer I trade with. Wasn't always the case, but I overheard a price being quoted over the phone by the parts man at the Deere dealer one day......just minutes after I'd paid quite a bit more for 20 gallons of Hy-Tran at NAPA. Nowdays I ask first.