Cheap parts machine..... (long story w pics)

/ Cheap parts machine..... (long story w pics) #11  
John Bud; You are truely a man with vision. Been involved in a few projects myself but none to this extent. A friend of mine has a series similar to yours. Late 60s I believe. He was going to sell it for 5k. Very low hour shedded nice paint machine. He had the injection pump gone through. It ran real good, tires were rather weather checked. Was thinking about picking it up just because it is a great example of an older machine.

/ Cheap parts machine..... (long story w pics)
Joes,

Don't hesitate on these older machines. Especially one that has been privately owned and treated nice. They are some powerful working tools.

On the hoe - today I got 3 hoses and numerous adaptors and fittings. This hoe uses a funky Ford only fitting, but I found that O-ring Boss Seal adaptors will seal up tight. Put the hoses on, but needed a 2nd trip to the hydraulic shop. Silly guy there keeps on giving me what I ASK for, not what I NEED.

I am sort of impressed. The pretty scary position of the hoe hasn't changed in 2 days. I hope to get 10 gal of hydraulic fluid and try to hook the beater hoe to the yellow tractor from the pictures this weekend. It will be "fun" as the hoses won't reach as it sits and I can't seem to get the box to boom angle to change in the correct direction. Oh well, it will get done. I have a vision ....

jb

/ Cheap parts machine..... (long story w pics) #13  
John
I noticed a few of these machines showing up around here. We have a old 68 model with a Ford hoe on it. We done a repaint two times since it was new . The parts tractor was a good find with some work and paint it looks like a keeper .The motor in it is that close to the 861 ford diesel? Close to what year is it? If you dont mind me askin.

Last edited:
FULLPULL said:
John
I noticed a few of these machines showing up around here. We have a old 68 model with a Ford hoe on it. We done a repaint two times since it was new . The parts tractor was a good find with some work and paint it looks like a keeper .The motor in it is that close to the 861 ford diesel? Close to what year is it? If you dont mind me askin.

Mind?

Not a bit!

The diesel is a 172 CID and is the same basic engine as the one in the ag tractors. (801, 901) There are a couple of items like the connecting rods are bigger and heavier. But every part will interchange.

The parts tractor is a early production 1962 model made in August I think. The HD industrials were some tough old birds. High priced too. $4649 would get you the tractor, about $1000 for the loader and bucket and $4000 for the 14' backhoe. Those were 1963 prices. Actually, that was real money back then.

jb

/ Cheap parts machine..... (long story w pics) #15  
Yea but they had a heavy front end to hold the weight of the loader . Like the 3400 series and the ag 3000 what we have . The 3000 couldnt hack the weight of the loader use over the years as good .We replaced a few parts to say the least . But over the long haul it held its own for what we used it for.

Trust No One!

It isn't just the motto of a cancelled Fox TV Show (X-Files), it's also good advice I should have followed ....

Put correct adaptors on the hydraulic hoses last Friday, bought 10 gal of hyd fluid and spend the day trying to get Hoe and Tractor to be friends. I have to say, Don't let your hoe fall over or off it's stands!! What a bloody pain in the rear. I had the back picked up and sort of on some cut logs. then used the Kubota to pick up the boom. Naturally, the swing cylinders swung and the hoe went down. Worked on it for about 5 hours (alone) and got the hoe bottom mounts onto the saddles on the tractor (lower mount). Should be easy to use the hydraulics to push the hoe into alignment, right? Hoses are too short, and they are 4" longer than factory. Had to use the Kubota to pick up the front of the dipper stick and lift drive foreward. Got one top mount on pretty quick. Much scrambling for the correct wrench... Couldn't get the other one. Could get the hydraulics connected. The Stabilizers, swing and boom operated. Yippie. Ran out of fluid filling cylinders. Put in 6 gallons. Couldn't get the bucket cylinder or the dipper stick to work right. Finally used a ratcheting binder to pull the hoe in to the box and get the last top link. Whew! It's starting to rain now, so I pick up the stabilizers and raise the boom to drive to the barn. Blammo! The boom hose fitting splits and gysers oil everywhere. Spits out about 1 1/2 gal. It's raining pretty hard, so in I go.

It quits raining, so I take off the hose. I notice that the stack of adaptors (which I didn't muck with) is so long, it hits the swing post. Doh! Get a new hose with 45's on each end so that they won't whack into stuff. Had to hold the hose with one end on and rotate the other end into what I thought was a good alignment for the other 45 degree hose end. THen they clamped it down into position. Heh! It actually fits! Correct alignment, correct length and no slamming into the swing post.

BUT, the dipper stick and bucket cylinder don't work. Finally I figure out that the prior owner swapped 2 hoses. Had to mentally go over the flow diagram to spot that. One side would pressurize, but the other side of the cylinder was blocked as it's spool (wrong hose location - wrong spool) wasn't moved! Instant actuation of the relief valve. Took off one - major gyser! Took off the other - major gyser! Soaked me pretty good. Oh well. Quick swap and they work!

Greased the zerks and got grease into all but 3. May need to take the pins out to get grease in those.

Here's a look of it on the yellow tractor. Notice the yellow paint on the areas that were weld repaired. I do that so that any cracks that form will be easier to spot. I think a U shaped piece of custom bent steel will be placed over the weak part of the boom and welded. Should be a more permanent solution.

apartshoeontheyellowtractor.jpg

Here's the tractor and hoe mostly in the barn

Anewhoelocation.jpg

Here's a shot of the hoe on the yellow tractor in the barn looking out at the donor tractor. Hope she's not the jealous type!

Anewhomeforanoldhoe.jpg

/ Cheap parts machine..... (long story w pics) #17  
Greetings,
It's so much nicer to read a thread about a save than someone who just cut it up and sold it for scrap metal.
Keep up the good work.
Hope the parts tractor turns out as good!

/ Cheap parts machine..... (long story w pics) #18  
John,

Here we go again!!!

Nice to know you not only didn't get scared away from taking on big projects, but you actually seem to be thriving on them!!!

I'm wondering if this might be the beginnings of a new carreer for you? Old time tractor repair and rebuild?

Thanks for all the great pics and a truly fun story. I'm looking forward to following it, along with your other projects.

Eddie

kubotafan said:
Has the top of the door been "customized"?

Only 3 times.

Each time my foot was flashing to the clutch, just a moment too late.

With bucket.

36inbucketonhoe.jpg

36inhoebuckettokubotabucket.jpg

Showing a little "pluck"

pickatractorup.jpg

Got the teeth on today and moved a little earth. Going from a 12" bucket with no teeth to a 36" bucket with teeth is a large difference. I will have to move the tractor a lot more often as the spoils pile gets too high too fast!

jb

/ Cheap parts machine..... (long story w pics) #20  
Great thread! Enjoyed your project --- from afar.

Wanted to see a pic with a bucket of dirt...

By the way, how do you get those photos? Mine are crap!

Thanks.

AKfish