repair or scrap??

/ repair or scrap?? #1  

goaliedad

Gold Member
Tractor
KUBOTA L175
I have a Kubota L175 that no longer likes reverse. I pulled the top plate off the tranny hoping to find a bad gear selector. I think it is the gear that's bad. I no longer need the tractor. My question is do I have it repaired then sell it, or scrap it out? If I decide to scrap it, are there any dealers that may be interested? any ideas?
Thanks guys

/ repair or scrap?? #2  
goaliedad said:
I have a Kubota L175 that no longer likes reverse. I pulled the top plate off the tranny hoping to find a bad gear selector. I think it is the gear that's bad. I no longer need the tractor. My question is do I have it repaired then sell it, or scrap it out? If I decide to scrap it, are there any dealers that may be interested? any ideas?
Thanks guys

I'd sell it...if the transmission goes into the forward gears and all else works.

/ repair or scrap?? #3  
Not sure what it costs to have it fixed, but I gurantee it's cheaper then buying a new tractor. Is it paid for? I'd fix it and keep using it.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ repair or scrap??
Eddie- I agree that fixing it would make sense- if I was going to need a tractor. We have moved closer to town and I no longer need a tractor- we have a much shorter driveway now.
I think I will put it in the paper and see what kind of response I get. Any more ideas are welcome.

Other than the reverse issue it has been a pretty good tractor- front mounted snow blower, loaded turf tires with chains, 3pt works- never used the pto.

/ repair or scrap?? #5  
You might try craig's list as well. Doesn't cost anything.

/ repair or scrap?? #6  
See if there is a school near you that needs a project for the shop class. They could tear down, repair, repaint, then you could sell or let them auction it off to raise money. Just an idea.

/ repair or scrap?? #7  
i think I'd find a cheap used gear for it, and learn how to rebuild a tractor trans... and call it a fun experience..

Soundguy

/ repair or scrap?? #8  
Soundguy said:
i think I'd find a cheap used gear for it, and learn how to rebuild a tractor trans... and call it a fun experience..

Soundguy

I agree. Tractor transmissions are pretty simple. The only "odd" tool you need is a press to push the gears / bearings off of some shafts.

The only critical item is setting preload when going back together.

jb

/ repair or scrap?? #9  
goaliedad said:
Thanks guys
I need to see a picture before I can make a call like this.

Albeit, I'd find a used tranny and swap them out. I did this recently on a small JD 170. Most of the small trannys are the same.