Gold Member
    Tractor
    KUBOTA L175

Default repair or scrap??

I have a kubota L175 that no longer likes reverse. I pulled the top plate off the tranny hoping to find a bad gear selector. I think it is the gear that's bad. I no longer need the tractor. My question is do I have it repaired then sell it, or scrap it out? If I decide to scrap it, are there any dealers that may be interested? any ideas?
    Thanks guys

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Default Re: repair or scrap??

Quote Originally Posted by goaliedad
    I have a kubota L175 that no longer likes reverse. I pulled the top plate off the tranny hoping to find a bad gear selector. I think it is the gear that's bad. I no longer need the tractor. My question is do I have it repaired then sell it, or scrap it out? If I decide to scrap it, are there any dealers that may be interested? any ideas?
    Thanks guys

I'd sell it...if the transmission goes into the forward gears and all else works.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Not sure what it costs to have it fixed, but I gurantee it's cheaper then buying a new tractor. Is it paid for? I'd fix it and keep using it.

Good luck,
    Eddie

Gold Member
    Tractor
    KUBOTA L175

Eddie- I agree that fixing it would make sense- if I was going to need a tractor. We have moved closer to town and I no longer need a tractor- we have a much shorter driveway now.
    I think I will put it in the paper and see what kind of response I get. Any more ideas are welcome.

Other than the reverse issue it has been a pretty good tractor- front mounted snow blower, loaded turf tires with chains, 3pt works- never used the pto.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000DT

You might try craig's list as well. Doesn't cost anything.
    Meetings: If more than two people are there, at least one's time is being wasted.

Tractor
    IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel

See if there is a school near you that needs a project for the shop class. They could tear down, repair, repaint, then you could sell or let them auction it off to raise money. Just an idea.
    Praise is not something you do to get closer to God, praise is a response to God being close to you.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

i think I'd find a cheap used gear for it, and learn how to rebuild a tractor trans... and call it a fun experience..

Soundguy

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy
    i think I'd find a cheap used gear for it, and learn how to rebuild a tractor trans... and call it a fun experience..

Soundguy

I agree. Tractor transmissions are pretty simple. The only "odd" tool you need is a press to push the gears / bearings off of some shafts.

The only critical item is setting preload when going back together.

jb

Tractor
    Kub - 2K6, B7800

Quote Originally Posted by goaliedad
    Thanks guys
    I need to see a picture before I can make a call like this.

Albeit, I'd find a used tranny and swap them out. I did this recently on a small JD 170. Most of the small trannys are the same.
    ** Kubota **

Psalms 86
    John 1:12-13

Duraflap / Kaydenco not worth a hoot for service or products.

"Google" is a proper noun, not a verb.

If you mean what you say, then say what you mean, or just don't say anything