stuck clutch

/ stuck clutch #1  

warburtonplayer

Silver Member
I have a shibaura S700 4WD and one part of the clutch is stuck. When I got the tractor the guy told me he used it and then left it for a while then came back a few months later and could not get it started and then it sat for about a year. I have been spraying PB blaster on it and one side came loose and the other is still stuck. It will not pull start because the clutch is stuck. I sent the starter off to get a rebuild so hoping the new starter will have enough power to start it up. When I tried pull starting it really wanted to start but would choke out because of the clutch. Does anyone have any ideas or tricks besides breaking it apart?

/ stuck clutch #2  
warburtonplayer said:
I have a shibaura S700 4WD and one part of the clutch is stuck. When I got the tractor the guy told me he used it and then left it for a while then came back a few months later and could not get it started and then it sat for about a year. I have been spraying PB blaster on it and one side came loose and the other is still stuck. It will not pull start because the clutch is stuck. I sent the starter off to get a rebuild so hoping the new starter will have enough power to start it up. When I tried pull starting it really wanted to start but would choke out because of the clutch. Does anyone have any ideas or tricks besides breaking it apart?

Is this a gear transmission tractor? Why can't you put it in Neutral and start it that way? Can you pull to start AND hit the starter at the same time? You are pulling it in top gear, right?

Most of the remedies need the tractor running. You then block the peddle down and turn sharp circles and hit alternate brakes. My favorite is to get a good bottom plow and just start plowing. While plowing, occasionally jump on both brakes. And I do mean a good jump and stomp! Don't hold it down, you just want to put a big shock into the system that will cause the clutch to slip free.

With the PB ->> turn the engine over 1/2 turn by hand and spray.

After you have it free, you will need to block the clutch down, remove the starter and spray about a case of brake cleaner on the clutch. Turn the engine by hand 1/4 turn at a time and get it all. Use up a can making 1 turn. Wait about 1/2 to 1 hour, then repeat for a total of 3 cans. Then do some (10-12) top gear starts at high throttle to both burn off the rust and the residual oil. You will probably have to use 6 to 12 cans to get a double clutch oil free. It just depends on how saturated it got and how easy it is it actually get the cleaner onto it.

Since it is 1/2 free now, you should be able to get it free with out a split.

good luck!
jb

/ stuck clutch #3  
That often happens to an old Jeep I have. I find that it is more effective and much easier to put a load on the clutch by pulling the machine so the rear wheels turn the clutch rather than having the engine do it. I put it in second gear, leave the ignition off, press in the clutch pedal, and then pull it fast enough to spin the engine at 1500-2000 rpm. Every time, after a minute or two of that it breaks free.

If you have something to pull with, put the tractor in the top or next to top gear, push in the clutch, and pull it a while. You should not shut off the fuel because it is needed to lubricate the injection pump. The best, but messiest way, is to loosen the fuel lines at the injectors so the fuel does not make it to the cylinders. But if you don't want to do that, keep the "throttle" at idle speed, and even if the engine starts it should still be getting turned by the rear wheels if you pull at a pretty good speed.

/ stuck clutch #4  
warburtonplayer said:

Although I can not say that I have previous experience with the pickle you're in but willing to take a stab at it if your PTO is transmission driven....

As you said, you have the starter out, so I can see you can stick a pry bar, good size screwdriver or whatever that you can to temporarily jam the flywheel causing it not to rotate. I would then put the PTO lever in engaged position to couple the PTO shaft with the transmission. I then, will get a beefy pipe wrench and for good measure a respectable pipe cheater bar. I grab the PTO and try gently but with authority to turn the PTO shaft while blocking the clutch pedal to simulate (clutching action). This effort should cause the whole shaft to turn which at the end is splined to clutch plate. That may coerce the clutch plate to let go off of the pressure plate, flywheel or both. I'll give it a try , can't see how you can harm anything if you don't go over board. good luck:)

JC

/ stuck clutch #5  
JC-jetro said:
Although I can not say that I have previous experience with the pickle you're in but willing to take a stab at it if your PTO is transmission driven....

As you said, you have the starter out, so I can see you can stick a pry bar, good size screwdriver or whatever that you can to temporarily jam the flywheel causing it not to rotate. I would then put the PTO lever in engaged position to couple the PTO shaft with the transmission. I then, will get a beefy pipe wrench and for good measure a respectable pipe cheater bar. I grab the PTO and try gently but with authority to turn the PTO shaft while blocking the clutch pedal to simulate (clutching action). This effort should cause the whole shaft to turn which at the end is splined to clutch plate. That may coerce the clutch plate to let go off of the pressure plate, flywheel or both. I'll give it a try , can't see how you can harm anything if you don't go over board. good luck:)

JC

JC,

I've heard this is a way that works - never used it. Do you hook up an implement and then put the pipe wrench on the pto shaft? I can't see getting enough room to grab and spin it anyother way.

jb

/ stuck clutch #6  
Make sure there is no pto brake involved..

Soundguy

/ stuck clutch #7  
john_bud said:
JC,

I've heard this is a way that works - never used it. Do you hook up an implement and then put the pipe wrench on the pto shaft? I can't see getting enough room to grab and spin it anyother way.

jb

John,

That makes two of us (never done it myself either). One probably can use half of the PTO shaft from an implement, mount it on tractor PTO shaft, jam a slender pipe in the yoke and turn. When I attempt to tighten the front seal on my brush hog I always jam a pry bar in the yoke to keep the shaft from rotating so I can tighten the big seal nut.

JC

/ stuck clutch #8  
We have put our tractor in gear and two people rock it back and forth the slack in the transmision will shock the clutch loose sometimes. Give it all you got and sometimes it will work. The other way is hitting the bake hard while moving as JB said.

/ stuck clutch
Yes I sprayed the clutch with a few cans but still cannot get the one side unstuck. I am hoping when i get my starter back I can start it up and then the vibrations will jar it loose. I only paid a couple hundred dollars for it!!! It is actually in good condition only 879 hours on it. All mecahnics work pto, hyd, all the valves are free imjector system works, If I could only get it started.

/ stuck clutch
Also I think it might but froze in 4WD? When i tried pull starting it, it just felt like it was pulling the 4WD also. What are the chances of it breaking free after I get the darn thing started? Like I said before I only paid a few hundred bucks for the tractor and I f I can get a low budget fix I think I might make out with a great little tractor for well under $1000.