Repairs-Broken Exhaust Manifold

/ Repairs-Broken Exhaust Manifold #1  

KCB

Tractor
B2150
I managed to break the exhaust mainfold on my B2150 tonight. It's broken completely off close to where the muffler mounts (where it's a single tube). It's a rather jagged break.
Is it possible to weld this, or do I need to call my banker? If it can be welded, what type of welding is best?

It happened when I was hauling off a 6' section of tree in my bucket. A limb caught the joystick and threw the bucket up. The log was thrown out and rolled over the left side of the tractor. I managed to get out of the way, but the exhaust pipe didn't. It only damaged the manifold. 'Scary what can happen so fast.

Thanks,
KCB

/ Repairs-Broken Exhaust Manifold #2  
Is this part cast iron? If so I may be able to be welded, but it should be left to an expeiranced weldor. If it is tubeing, should be no problem doing it yourself. Have you priced a new one yet? Some times you get suprised, and its not as bad as you thought. Good luck.

/ Repairs-Broken Exhaust Manifold
Yes, it's cast iron. I do some occasional brazing on refrigeraton tubing, but know nothing about welding. Do you know what type of welding is best for this? I guess there's little to lose if it doesn't hold.

/ Repairs-Broken Exhaust Manifold #4  
I think you would want to arc weld it. Last time I saw someone weld cast, they had to heat it first. You will need a lot of Amps out of the welder, a little 110Volt buzzbox will not do it. If you got the welder, give it a shot, Its already cracked so what have you got to loose./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Repairs-Broken Exhaust Manifold #5  
Have you thought about a two part product such as J.B. Weld.

I've never used it on an exhaust manifold. But , have used it on a bronze pump casing with perfect results.

The product J.B. Weld claims it will repair high temp applications such as exhaust manifolds.

They sell the stuff everywhere round these parts. Wal-Mart, Tractor Supply and every auto parts store I've ever been in.

/ Repairs-Broken Exhaust Manifold #6  
KCB,

It's probably best brazed and not welded as there are more people that can do a credible job brazing. I've had marine exhaust manifolds repaired that way with acceptable results. The two parts have to be heated to a dull red to get decent adhesion.

A specialty welding shop may be able to weld it, but cast iron is not easy to weld.

Thank goodness you are only having to repair the tractor and not your self!

John Bud

/ Repairs-Broken Exhaust Manifold #7  
Indeed you had a close one..yikes.
I good welder should be able to make repairs.
Different welder different ideas..cast can be little harder to weld if its not clean or beven temp.

/ Repairs-Broken Exhaust Manifold #8  
KCB,

Cast Iron can be welded. It is welded with a high Nickel content rod (composition code C). Whether the manifold can be welded depends on where the break is, you need good access to both sides of the break, and as Thomas said it needs to be heated and thermally stable throughout. After it is welded it should be resurfaced (trued) by a machine shop. After all this, there will be no guaratee it won't crack in use. I would probably look for a used manifold or call your banker.
Al