$1,200 Head

/ $1,200 Head #11  
Re: $1,200 Head

Although I'm sure it was a pain, at least now you have peace-of-mind!

/ $1,200 Head #12  

If you're concerned about water getting into your diesel whether from condensation or getting pumped in with the fuel, there's a simple solution. Install a water separator between the fuel tank and the injection pump.

Units like those made by Racor include the head which a filter screws into from the bottom and a clear bowl which screws onto the bottom of the filter. You can see if water is in the fuel because it will accumulate in the bowl. You can unscrew a fitting in the bottom of the bowl to drain the water.

The units also have a small pump in the head which you can use to pressurize the fuel lines for a faster start. Unit are available to fit any size diesel engine.

/ $1,200 Head #13  

That's a good idea. What kindof price range are we talking about to fit a ~40 HP tractor? Any recommendations on where to get one via the net?

-Tnx

/ $1,200 Head #14  

Ballpark, I think they're around $100. The ones for large engines can be several hundred. I've bought them off ebay.
There is a webpage that shows the various models.

Places that sell or service marine engines also should either have them or be able to order them. You'll need to match the Racor unit to the fuel flow rate for your engine.

/ $1,200 Head #15  

I recently attended a farm machinery show where someone had a booth promoting e-diesel. I was in a hurry and didn't stop. Besides, many years back I was involved in research on biodiesel and wasn't too interested in this new competition. E-diesel is a blend of ethanol and petroleum-derived diesel fuel. I don't know what percentage, but you can find a brief explanation at www.ott.doe.gov/biofuels/what_is_renewable_diesel.html. Doe is the Department of Energy. So, someone must think it is safe to run fuels containing alcohol (ethanol at least) in diesel engines.