Replacing Generator Belt

/ Replacing Generator Belt #1  

RobT

Bronze Member
Tractor
Rural King Foton 404
Hello All,

(I cross-posted this in the Chinese Tractor forum as well, but thought it might pertain to some other tractors as well.)

I have a Foton 404 with 220 hours on it. The belt for the generator broke and I was wondering if anyone has had to change their's yet. Luckily the dealer sent a replacement with the box of goodies I got when I purchased the tractor (from a local Rural King store).

My two biggest questions are:

1. Do I have to drain and remove the radiator first? It looks like that is the only way to get to the pulleys. (It looks like I have to remove the fan belt first, then slip on the generator belt.)

2. I know the smaller of the three pulleys for the fan belt allows you to adjust the tightness of the belt, but it looks like that still doesn't provide enough clearance to slip on or off the fan belt.

Any suggestions or instructions are very welcome.

Thank you!
Rob T.

/ Replacing Generator Belt #2  
i usually try to do anything possibly to keep from removing a radiator to get a belt on.

What has worked for me is to lay the flat sid o fthe belt against the radiator and slip it over a fan blade one at a time til the belt is over the fan blad and on the hub... the blades usually can be deflected 1/4" or more.. plus the built in clearance between the fan and radiator ought to give you room to replace even a 5/8 belt.. belt can be folder and slid beside the shroud to get it to the first blade. then progress from there.. Might take y 5 minutes.. but it's worth it.

Once over the fan. remove or loosen the tension device.. generator / alternator .. etc.. then slip her on and tighten back up.

If you have a front mounted stinger pump.. this becomes mre difficult..

soundguy

/ Replacing Generator Belt
Sounduy: Good advice, I'll try that.

Also, what is a "stinger pump"?

Thanks.
RobT

/ Replacing Generator Belt #4  
Stinger pump = Front crank mounted pump.

In thos cases.. you gotta pull the pump coupling or shaft.. etc.. if I have to do that.. I usually install 2 belts... with 1 tied up outta the way so whent he other breaks.. i just cut some zip ties and install it... ( lazy mans warranty / insurance.. )

Soundguy

/ Replacing Generator Belt
Soundguy,

Great information and outstanding tip on putting on a backup belt out of the way. Man, I get so many tips from this site.

As an update, I did wind up pulling out the radiator simply because I was a little nervous bending the plastic fan blades. I was able to get the belt over a few of them without any problem, though. In the future I'll probably try a little harder to bend them so I don't have to remove the radiator.

Since I removed the radiator, I drained it of course. Glad I did. It was full of muck...I guess I should have changed coolant before now (200+ hours). I also went ahead and put on a new fan belt since I had all this stuff off. The old one looked ok.

Thanks for the advice, Soundguy.

robt

/ Replacing Generator Belt #6  
Have fun.!

Soundguy