Default 861 Ford

How do I remove the brake drum to replace a broken stud?

Default Re: 861 Ford

I would like to know how to remove the brake drum so I can replace the broken studs to hold the wheel on.

Art,

It's pretty easy. The first thing is to take off the cover over the star adjuster and use a brake adjusting tool (or a wide flat blade screw driver) and loosen the adjuster a lot. If you do it with the rear end jacked up and resting on a stand you will have an easier time.

When it is LOOSE, the wheel will spin easily. Take off the wheel. The drum should be removable. Use a soft face mallet or a block of wood and a hand maul to bap the back edge of the drum while turning it. If there is no movement at all, the drum may be rusted to the hub. A quick flash with an Ox/Ac torch and a rose bud tip on the drum, not the hub may be needed. You don't want to cook the axle seals.

You can soak with PB blaster, or other penetrating oils. ATF and diesel works too.

jb

How do I replace the studs that are broken off?

Tractor
    IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel

Welcome to TBN Art, here is a link to a New Holland dealer with a parts lookup, type your model # in the searchbox and see if you can get a diagram of the brake setup. Good luck.

https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/main.php

Four Brothers Outdoor Power 2324 E I-30 Royse City Tx. 75189 Phone 972-636-2963 Fax 972-635-2363
    Praise is not something you do to get closer to God, praise is a response to God being close to you.

Elite Member

Hammer and a drive punch.
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket