hydraulic cylinder rebuild

/ hydraulic cylinder rebuild #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
I need to rebuild two of my cylinders on my steering. As I am a novice, can anyone point me to a thread / article on how to do this without making it worse?

thanks

Carl

/ hydraulic cylinder rebuild #2  
Carl, I see you have a powertrac, isn't that one of the articulating tractors? I bet Mossroad could help if you posted in the powertrac forum. Do you have a manual for your unit, are the cylinders leaking?

/ hydraulic cylinder rebuild #3  
I am NOT familiar with the exact machine and cylinders, but my ASSUMPTION is that there are 2 cylinders, one per side. The cylinders are probably single acting and have a cross over cushion valve between the streering wheel and the cylinders, to feed one as the other empties. Also to allow some high pressure fluid to "spurt" across from one to the other if you hit a rock or something while traveling.

If that is correct, you will probably have a fairly easy time. Determine how the cylinder ends come off. (This is the Cap, it is where the rod comes out.) Probably a pin wrench is needed, maybe a spanner. While the cylinders are still attached, loosen the caps of the cylinders. Then take off the hydraulic lines (mark them with tape and take a picture first - just in case). Tap out the pins that hold the cylinders in place.

Take them to a work bench and remove the caps, slide out the rods with the piston on the end. Remove the packing from the gland (cap end) and the piston. You will have take off a big nut on the end to do that. Remove any seals, o-rings and backup washers. Buy correct replacement seals, o-rings, packing etc. Clean everything up, reassemble. Lube with clean hydraulic fluid as needed.

H&D Distributors, Inc. Your Complete Source for Seals

Follow the link. Look around and find their downloadable catalog. It is about 10 meg. Has PICTURES of the seals and packings. Prices are good, service is great.

Or you can take the cylinders to a local shop. Expect to pay 5-7x what the cost of the seals alone run. Probably in the 125-175 per cylinder range. Depends on what is wrong, etc. If you go that route, put it in writting on the paperwork that they have to give you a firm estimate before work is started. (I've paid 350+ for a 30 dollar job before. It hurts...)

you can also check out

Surplus Center - Hydraulic Equipment Electric Motors

They have new and surplus cylinders at a decent price.

HTH

jb

/ hydraulic cylinder rebuild
Thanks for the info. I already rebuilt them............ back in 2007 ;-)

And for the record I could not rebuild them myself. I could not get them to come apart. It took a large machine shop with huge tools to pop them apart.... The guys who work on huge heavy machinery where quite impressed that such a small cylinder could cause an entire shop to shut down while the figured out how to pop it apart.