loss of power

/ loss of power #1  

rcrcomputing

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti ck30
I'll try to give you as much info as I can. Was brush hogging a few weeks ago, the tractor died. It was starting to rain anyway so I just left it sitting where it was. It's rained now for several weeks in Oklahoma. So, today I fire the beast up and while it runs, I've got real loss of power. Here's the symtoms.

Can't start it in low anymore, have to throttle up.
Barely starts when I throttle up a bit.
When it starts, it barely does and barely runs then in a minute, it picks up and runs just fine.
When I go forward, rpms go to crap and it starts to die. I stop and rpms go right back up and runs fine, unless I throttle it down low, then it'll die.

It's an hst.. I have changed the fuel filter, cleaned the air filter.. Checked oil, hydro, etc..

Not being a mechanical type, I don't know what else to do.. I'm hoping for some pointers from you guys.. :)

/ loss of power #2  
I'm assuming this is a diesel tractor.

Did it do this before or after you changed the fuel filter? If after, you may not have the system bled correctly.

If fuel supply is not the problem, then I'm thinking the governor is not working right. This isn't something you want to mess with as it is internal to the injection pump.

/ loss of power #3  
cp1969 has a good point. If your manual has the bleeding procedure, follow it to the letter. Also, check your air filter to ensure you installed it correctly.

There's also a possibility you may have overtightened the fuel filter. Overtightening can distort a filter and allow an air leak in the system.
Or, not tightened it enough and it vibrated loose.

The next least invasive thing to do is drain the fuel tank and replace the fuel. It's possble you have a bad tank of fuel, or water in the fuel.

Let us know if that helps.

Also, think back...did you do any maintenance before you noticed this drop in power?
Is the tractor still in warranty?

/ loss of power
Sorry for not being clear. The problem happened before the filter changes etc. Those were just simple things I could think of to try to fix the problem.

Yes, it's a ck30 kioti. Diesel. I'll have to check the warranty. I don't remember how long it is. I'll try dumping the fuel and see if that helps. :(

BTW, this stuff started at the same time.
When you first start it cold, the rpm meter doesn't move. Some time later it starts working..
When I turn the key off, it doesn't kill the tractor.. Have to pull the kill button. As I say, all these started at the same time as the power loss. The tractor is about 2 years old 200 hrs.

/ loss of power #5  
With that new information I vote for wet electronics. Don't know which or where but moisture can cause lots of problems.

/ loss of power #6  
rcrcomputing said:
Sorry for not being clear. The problem happened before the filter changes etc. Those were just simple things I could think of to try to fix the problem.

Yes, it's a ck30 kioti. Diesel. I'll have to check the warranty. I don't remember how long it is. I'll try dumping the fuel and see if that helps. :(

BTW, this stuff started at the same time.
When you first start it cold, the rpm meter doesn't move. Some time later it starts working..
When I turn the key off, it doesn't kill the tractor.. Have to pull the kill button. As I say, all these started at the same time as the power loss. The tractor is about 2 years old 200 hrs.

Did it ever shut off when you turned the key off? Is the tach (rpm meter) electric or cable driven?

If it used to shut off with the key and the tach is electric, I am in agreement with woodchuckie. I am not that familiar with Kiotis to know whether they use a manual shut off or not.