mower deck ate my bracket to 3pt hitch

/ mower deck ate my bracket to 3pt hitch #1  

roermo

Gold Member
Tractor
4110 JD
I have a 4110 J/D and last weekend a pin feel out of the linkage to the 3 pt hitch to the left arm of the deck, while going backwards the arm went under the deck. The photos shows wat is left of the turn buckle.

Question. Can this be taken to a welding shop and fixed. Or am I better getting a new part at the tune of about 110 to 120 dollars.

It seem it is about 3/8 or so very strong steel, I think.

Any welder out there that can give me some advise.

Thank for any help or ideas. Oh I already know do not do that.

Roger

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 483
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 413
   / mower deck ate my bracket to 3pt hitch #2  
Rats! You cancelled out my best advice!

But seriously, a welder can fix anything made of metal. It's just a matter of cost. On your part, it needs to have the old stuff taken off, then a new strap with slot milled ($) then that strap welded on. I'm assuming you would want the whole deal pounded out flat too. I'd guess your looking at a shop charge of around 2 hours. That means the repair cost is about the same as or a little more than, the replacement cost. Your call. I'd buy a new one and keep the old one around to remind me. Also, you never know when you may find a use for it.

jb

/ mower deck ate my bracket to 3pt hitch #3  
roermo said:
I have a 4110 J/D and last weekend a pin feel out of the linkage to the 3 pt hitch to the left arm of the deck, while going backwards the arm went under the deck. The photos shows wat is left of the turn buckle.

Question. Can this be taken to a welding shop and fixed. Or am I better getting a new part at the tune of about 110 to 120 dollars.

It seem it is about 3/8 or so very strong steel, I think.

Any welder out there that can give me some advise.

Thank for any help or ideas. Oh I already know do not do that.

Roger

I've done some welding, but don't consider myself a welder. That said, that part could be welded up. Break it off, flatten it out, weld it up. 2 ways to do the weld, either grind a full depth bevel for a full penetration weld from the outside, or put a small bit of steel over the break on the outside and weld that up. The small bit gives more edges to weld. If it doesn't carry lots of weight the bevel and weld might do it. I'd think you'd want someone with a TIG machine because it's a pretty small part.

/ mower deck ate my bracket to 3pt hitch #4  
I think by the time that you take it into a shop and they fix it up for you, you would be better just to buy a new one.

Just my thought

/ mower deck ate my bracket to 3pt hitch
Thanks all,

John Bud ,sorry I stole your line, but it reminded me of the person that goes into the doctor's office and say it hurts when I do that, the doctor said don't do that. $50 dollars please.

I think you might all be on to something, a new part and forget it. I think I would always be worried if the fixed one would hold out. And if it is about the same amount of money why take that road.

Thanks all

/ mower deck ate my bracket to 3pt hitch #6  
this is were it pays to have a buddy/neighbor with a welder.

My friend i car pool with broke a mount on his car seat. Would have ment a major headache. instead it was 3 mins to pull the seat out and walk it down to my neighbor that was out and he wipped out his tig and good as new :cool:

break it off, weld it back on for free.

if it doenst hold, your not out any $$ and you can still buy the new part.

/ mower deck ate my bracket to 3pt hitch #7  
This looks like a good time to buy that welder that you always wanted.

/ mower deck ate my bracket to 3pt hitch #8  
JerryG said:
This looks like a good time to buy that welder that you always wanted.

Hmmmm let's see now,

1) Pay someone 100 bucks to fix this one

2) Buy a new one for 110-120 bucks

3) Buy a 250 amp ad/dc stick, mig & Tig combo welder for 2500 bucks + 1200 bucks for sticks, mig wire, tig tips, gas cylinders, autodarkening helmet and a supply of steel to learn how to weld on.

Yup, option #3!

Good call JerryG!

/ mower deck ate my bracket to 3pt hitch #9  
john_bud said:
Hmmmm let's see now,

1) Pay someone 100 bucks to fix this one

2) Buy a new one for 110-120 bucks

3) Buy a 250 amp ad/dc stick, mig & Tig combo welder for 2500 bucks + 1200 bucks for sticks, mig wire, tig tips, gas cylinders, autodarkening helmet and a supply of steel to learn how to weld on.

Yup, option #3!

Good call JerryG!

Yep..Usually the way I do that kind of thing. After all it's a TOOL.

/ mower deck ate my bracket to 3pt hitch
The last two posts are a good thoughts, can I give the cost list to my wife and qoute you guys as gosple. Sounds like a plan. But you all forgot the cost of the schooling and maybe one or two trips to the Emergency with burns cuts and the like. Hum. (thinking)

Roger