Kill switch

/ Kill switch #1  

bougechitto

Hello there.
I just bought a used 3010s new holland. The guy that sold me the tractor, told me the kill switch is bad, and to shut the engine will have to put it in gear and high throttle and hold the brake. It works. He did not know where the switch is located on the tractor. I went to my local new Holland dealer , they could not help me . Bought new ignition switch , did not help either.
Does anyone out there knows where the switch is? I would really appreciate some help on this. I am also looking to buy a repair manual, if any one has one for sale.
Thanks

/ Kill switch #2  
Not familiar with that tractor. but is it a diesel ? If so you have to shut off the fuel to kill it. There should be some method to do this on the injector pump.

/ Kill switch #3  
The "kill switch" on a diesel is usually either the throttle linkage itself or an electric solenoid on the injector pump. The purpose of both is to cut off the fuel flow. I am not familiar with your tractor, but if the former owner said the "kill switch is bad," I vote that there is an electric solenoid on the pump and perhaps that is bad.

If there is a solenoid you should be able to hear it "click" when you turn the key to the "run" position. if not maybe it is stuck. Usually they go bad in the off position and you cannot get the tractor started.

Anyway, look for an electrical connection to the fuel injector pump.

Mike

/ Kill switch #4  
On my JD you pull the throttle back to kill it. But that's JD, not sure on your NH.

/ Kill switch #5  
Look on the NH web site and under parts you can look up your tractor as a break down of parts if that helps.

/ Kill switch #6  
Here is the page from the NH website that shows your pump. Item number 3 is the electric solenoid for the fuel shut off. Part number is 9986316.
I circled the solenoid in red.

Older versions of this pump used a manual kill cable attached to the pump. The blue circle to the left of the pic was the kill lever on the older pumps. The other blue circle is the throttle arm. If your pump has the kill lever on it, you could connect a cable to it to shut your tractor down. You could check it first by connecting a piece of wire to it that will reach the seat (don't stand beside it with it running :eek: ). Start the tractor up then pull the wire to see if it kills the engine.

Even after replacing the electric cut off, a cable could serve as a manual cut off in case the electric one fails again.

Mike

Attachments

• 001NHNA-48410.jpg
    001NHNA-48410.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 2,364
   / Kill switch
MikesTractor said:
Here is the page from the NH website that shows your pump. Item number 3 is the electric solenoid for the fuel shut off. Part number is 9986316.
I circled the solenoid in red.

Older versions of this pump used a manual kill cable attached to the pump. The blue circle to the left of the pic was the kill lever on the older pumps. The other blue circle is the throttle arm. If your pump has the kill lever on it, you could connect a cable to it to shut your tractor down. You could check it first by connecting a piece of wire to it that will reach the seat (don't stand beside it with it running :eek: ). Start the tractor up then pull the wire to see if it kills the engine.

Even after replacing the electric cut off, a cable could serve as a manual cut off in case the electric one fails again.

/ Kill switch
Thank you all for your responce. Will try it this weekend.

/ Kill switch #9  
Wow...the guy you bought it from is a real piece of work... It's not hard to replace the fuel shutoff solenoid on these 10 series tractors.. I was checking mine out just today after reading a post about a failed one on jinmans tractor.

And i hope you meant high gear and low throttle... still.. what a horrible thing to do.. lug the engine down... Please pos t the sn on that tractor... I've bene wanting to get a 3010s as a medium sized tractor.. but surely don't ever want to run into that one down the road. ( grin)

What is evenmore surprising is that your dealer was clueless about the part... you don't perchance live anywhere near LoneCowboy do ya (wink)

good luck on the repair.. you will enjoy it much better with key-off ability..

Soundguy