Ferguson Plow... Opinions

/ Ferguson Plow... Opinions
schmism said:
ya id love it... mine came with a draw bar, but its the wrong size, its 1.75" in diam and the ubolt spaceing on the dearborn is 1.5" if i remember correctly...

Afternoon schimism,
My bar which I think is original is 1 5/8" in diameter. I say original because it goes through a 1/4" round plate on one side that is graduated with increments for furough width or to make the furough more narrow. Overall bar length is 31 1/2" long and the 1 5/8" dia is just under 27" long. Hope that helps. I can post more pics if you need them !

/ Ferguson Plow... Opinions #22  
Scott, don't know if you've found it yet, but I went back and looked. The New Holland dealer was in Halifax, PA. Sweigard Brothers is the dealership...Ask for Scott, Phone: 717-896-3414. Always say you heard of them from a satisfied customer....Oh by the way, their website also says:
"LANGUAGES SPOKEN: ENGLISH" (I liked that)

PS: By the looks of your plow you have the "sod" points/shares

BobG in VA

BobG_in_VA said:
Scott, don't know if you've found it yet, but I went back and looked. The New Holland dealer was in Halifax, PA. Sweigard Brothers is the dealership...Ask for Scott, Phone: 717-896-3414. Always say you heard of them from a satisfied customer....Oh by the way, their website also says:
"LANGUAGES SPOKEN: ENGLISH" (I liked that)

PS: By the looks of your plow you have the "sod" points/shares

BobG in VA

Mornin Bob,
Thankyou very much, I will give them a call ! Any idea about what kind of money we are talking ?

I did a bit of research on YT forum and this is what I came up with !

"The tractor and plow have been recently restored and the Dearborn Model 10-8 Plow is all original. The Mouldboard Plows (1947-1950) were later referred to as the Prior Models when the 10-150 models came out in 1950. This is a rare 12' 2-bottom plow, sister to the 10-1 (14') model. There is an even rarer model, the 10' plow also. This 10-8 plow has the original mouldboards with the DMC diamond logo and the part number, 101517, stamped on them. It also comes with the original coulters, jointers, mouldboard extensions ( for extra tough old sod ), rolling landside (furrow wheel), and the hard-to-find weed hooks. This is one of five Dearborn Plows I own and the second to be restored for show although in a pinch it would be field ready in a minute. I use a 10-152 model for my working plow. Thanks for looking and sharing a bit of Ford Farming History"

Attachments

• 8n & Dearborn 10-8 plow.jpg
    8n & Dearborn 10-8 plow.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 389
   / Ferguson Plow... Opinions #24  
I think if you go back to my original post on this issue, I think I said the steel shares are about $150 ea, whereas the cast are about $65 each....I bought 2 cast w/shipping for about what I'd have paid for 1 steel. My 10-8s points are the clay points--sharp almost downward turn looking. If I think about it I'll pull it out of the weeds and take a pict. or 2 of it for you. bobg in va

/ Ferguson Plow... Opinions #25  
scott_vt said:
Afternoon schimism,
My bar which I think is original is 1 5/8" in diameter. I say original because it goes through a 1/4" round plate on one side that is graduated with increments for furough width or to make the furough more narrow. Overall bar length is 31 1/2" long and the 1 5/8" dia is just under 27" long. Hope that helps. I can post more pics if you need them !

ya Mike said he had one to give me but he said his were 1.75 also so i double checked mine and 1.625 would be about right. certinally isnt the larger size, thats for shure.

the other orginal dearborn pics ive seen also show a round non-offset draw bar used. Which means im going to have to pull up farmwithjunk's post about how to set up the plow by blocking one tire up so i can set the tilt right on the back of my 3point....

BobG_in_VA said:
I think if you go back to my original post on this issue, I think I said the steel shares are about $150 ea, whereas the cast are about $65 each....I bought 2 cast w/shipping for about what I'd have paid for 1 steel. My 10-8s points are the clay points--sharp almost downward turn looking. If I think about it I'll pull it out of the weeds and take a pict. or 2 of it for you. bobg in va

Afternoon Bob,
Sorry, yes you did post those prices earlier in the thread, and also in FWJ's thread "Plowing New Ground " ! Dont mind me ! ;)

Yes I would like to see your plow points, I would be plowing through mostly clay type soil and would like to get the right ones !

schmism said:
ya Mike said he had one to give me but he said his were 1.75 also so i double checked mine and 1.625 would be about right. certinally isnt the larger size, thats for shure.

the other orginal dearborn pics ive seen also show a round non-offset draw bar used. Which means im going to have to pull up farmwithjunk's post about how to set up the plow by blocking one tire up so i can set the tilt right on the back of my 3point....

Afternoon Steve,
I will slowly be posting pics as I rip this thing down and sandblast and paint all the parts. I also went back and reread FWJ's thread, I was kinda hoping that he was going to give us some action shots with that plow but Im guessing after all that work he didnt want to get her dirty ! :)

/ Ferguson Plow... Opinions #28  
scott_vt said:
Afternoon Steve,
I will slowly be posting pics as I rip this thing down and sandblast and paint all the parts. I also went back and reread FWJ's thread, I was kinda hoping that he was going to give us some action shots with that plow but Im guessing after all that work he didnt want to get her dirty ! :)

Hey Scotty!

I'm going to be doing some plowing later this year. I'll do a second installment on the plowing new ground thread. Maybe I can do a plowing trilogy, and become the Harry Potter of the tillage world! ;) Things just got a little too busy this spring. Believe me when I say, I'm ready to get that plow dirty! I'd rather flip dirt than eat!

Bill

/ Ferguson Plow... Opinions #29  
Nice looking plow. I learned to plow with one behind a 9N

Good luck with it.

Farmwithjunk said:
Hey Scotty!

I'm going to be doing some plowing later this year. I'll do a second installment on the plowing new ground thread. Maybe I can do a plowing trilogy, and become the Harry Potter of the tillage world! ;) Things just got a little too busy this spring. Believe me when I say, I'm ready to get that plow dirty! I'd rather flip dirt than eat!

Bill

Mornin Bill,
I knew if I made a statement like that I could get you to post on my thread again !!! ;) :)

As you can see, Bob was nice enough to find me a place to buy some replacement parts ! I started taking this thing apart the other day, I took the bar that the lower arms hookup to. On the left side looking from the 3 pt hitch, the 1 5/8" bar goes through a round plate ,3 3/4" OD .312 thk, that has graduation marks on one section. Im assuming that this thing adjusts the camber of the plow, by moving the pull bar fore or aft ? I can post a closeup of what Im talking about. But if you go back to my pic 0160 you can see kind of what Im talkin about! Last night I took off the front coulter arm and cutter. The thing will need to be rebushed, its sloppy. Another question I had was in reference to the coulter adjustment. I re read your thread, and you went over this point, but Im curious if different soil conditions change these settings ? Im certainly a long way away from that point but just curious ! Also whats the deal with the check chains, are they just there in case your assembly loosens up ? Actually, Bob might have answers to all these questions ! Thanks for your help guys !:)