Ferguson Plow... Opinions

/ Ferguson Plow... Opinions #1  

scott_vt

Tractor
1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A
Afternoon Guys,
This past weekend I went to look at a 3 PT 2 BTM Ferguson plow. I pm-ed my buddy Bill aka FWJ to get his feelings on the plow ! I informed him that the asking price is $200 and that one of the points was broken. After I got over there to look at the plow, I realized that not only was the rear point was broke but the rear cutter wheel was also shot ! I know there are other members out there that have much more experience with this type of implement than myself, so feel free to add your commentary. As I informed Bill I would only be using this plow for a garden or food plot at some point in time. Please see attached photos !

BTW, sorry meant to say tail wheel is shot !

Attachments

• Plow1.jpg
    Plow1.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 1,376
  • Plow2.jpg
    Plow2.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 897
  • Plow3.jpg
    Plow3.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 942
   / Ferguson Plow... Opinions
Hmmm,
I should use the search function more often ! :confused: It seems Dapper posted a plow that looks like what I looked at and states its a Dearborn ! :confused:

Attachments

• dearborn 2 bottom.jpg
    dearborn 2 bottom.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 798
   / Ferguson Plow... Opinions #3  
ya im fairly shure mines a dearborn... paid $250 for mine. ive got a thread out there for mine

plow4.jpg

/ Ferguson Plow... Opinions #4  
schmism,

Where is the Drawbar ?

Attachments

• plow.jpg
    plow.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 984
   / Ferguson Plow... Opinions #5  
Hey Scotty!

Well, from the picture, it looks like a Dearborn plow to me too. No problem with that. In fact, points, albiet hard to find in that style, are EASIER to find for the Dearborn plows. Looks like the coulters were once equipped with jointers. Some of the hardware is still there. I'd remove all the extra parts. They'll just collect debris without the jointer shares. The tailwheel can probably be fixed with parts (or a complete tailwheel assembly) from a later model Ford plow. For MOST plowing conditions, you can get away with not even using a tailwheel. Rotate the offset drawbar so that it moves the tail end of the plow a bit towards the furrow wall, putting a little more pressure on the landslides, and that plow will probably track straight enough without a tailwheel.

I saw a Dearborn 2X12" plow in far WORSE condition than that sell for $420, 2 weeks prior. (P.T. Barnum was right ;))

Bill

/ Ferguson Plow... Opinions #6  
Scott, looks too much like a Dearborn 10-8 (assuming its a 12" model). Plow points/share can be had but are pricey. Cast iron will be about $65 each. If you want steel, you can pretty much pay for one what 2 cast will cost. Rear furrow wheels: Usually Dearborn had the scraper at the front of the wheel whereas Fergs (I believe) had the scraper at the rear of the wheel. Good luck with it! BobG in VA

Mornin Guys,
Thanks to all for your replies.

In answer to Deerhunter question, Schisms plow is missing the bar that goes from beam to beam for the lower arms on the 3 pt to hook up to. If you look at the pics I posted you will see what Im talking about.

Bill and Bob thanks for your comments, would either of you gentlemen care to point me in the right direction towards points or any other missing parts ? E-Bay ? Or possibly a tractor salvage yard ??? Thanks again guys !:)

/ Ferguson Plow... Opinions #8  
Schmism I happen to have the draw bar for that plow. I live 30mi. west of St. Louis. PM me if you are interested. You can have it if you come and get it.

mikedeere said:
Schmism I happen to have the draw bar for that plow. I live 30mi. west of St. Louis. PM me if you are interested. You can have it if you come and get it.

Mornin Mike,
You wouldnt have any points by any chance would you ? ;) :)

/ Ferguson Plow... Opinions #10  
I just bought a used King Kutter 2 bottom plow for $150. It cant be more than 10 years old and still has the paint on it. I guess I got a good deal.

Chris