Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Re: Mounting tires on rim

Those stores bring back memories of the old tire store in town. they used to have a guy there that had a teenage son helping him. he had no eyes split ring popped off and caught him in the face years earlier.

Anyway.. he still did tire work. the son brought him tools and set stuff out for him.. he did the rest.

This was way back when.. say.. late 70's or early 80's

Soundguy

Tractor
    Bobcat

Relative to using a hammer, rubber or otherwise to mount a tire, ...I feel that
    there is the potential to do damage to the bead. Then you will always need to use a tube because the bead won't hold air for very long. My dad Stan
    made some bitchin' tire irons out of leaf springs. They're better, more effective than anything else I've seen over the counter. Finally, as a lubricant, I have used some of the various "goops" made to seal tire leaks,
    on the bead before I mount tires. Some tire dressings are pretty slick and
    appropriate to the task. When removing a tire, I will apply said "goops" so as
    not to ruin the bead of a tire I might not be discarding. With tubeless tires,
    be sure to deal with the part of the rim that contacts the bead. Sand and
    paint if if necessary. Then you are likely to never have to worry about losing
    air.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

that's why i like tube tires... just get it close and it's usually good to go...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123