White Smoke from exhaust?

/ White Smoke from exhaust? #1  

FireKraKer

Tractor
JD 2305
Good Morning all,

Well I finally did it, I turned over my 2007 JD 2305 yesterday on a slight incline. It was on its side for about 20 minutes until I could get my truck over to pull it back right side up. After getting it back up, it took about 20 more minutes for it to start again because it was having trouble turning over.

My question is that ever since that happened it is now billowing out white smoke from the exhaust. I have check all my fluids and they are fine. The smoke did lessen as I used the rig more, but it was still coming out when I shut it down last night.

Any ideas?

Brandon

/ White Smoke from exhaust? #2  
Having trouble turning over? I hope the cylinders were'nt full of fuel. I am sure others, that know about these things will chime in, but I would be wanting to do a leakdown test myself. Hopefully, this will all clear up and thank goodness you were'nt injured in the rollover!!!

/ White Smoke from exhaust? #3  
Probably more likely a cylinder got oil or coolant in it. In any event, if a few minutes of hard work doesn't clear the smoke, you might be looking at an engine rebuild.

/ White Smoke from exhaust?
GeeeeeZ!!!!

I hope an engine rebuild on a tractor with only 78 hours on it is in my future. It was running great but just putting out white smoke heavy at first but then gradually decreasing. After 2 hours on it, I could still see and smell some of the smoke though.

No, was not hurt thankfully. The roll bar did go over my lower back though. Was not wearing the seat built and it threw me off. :eek:

/ White Smoke from exhaust? #5  
I'd have to agree with the first poster.. anytime you roll a tractor.. you have to make sure that you have not hydraulically locked it.

Fluid don't compress well and things like valves, rods and cranks bend when you try to do so. Pistons can get holes in them.. all sorts of nice things. etc.

Good luck!

If it aint stopepd smoking.. I'd check to see that perhaps your manifolds didn't crack / come loose.. maybee you will get lucky and a wet stud broke and is feeding a drip of coolant into manifold.. etc..

check oil and water for signs of corsss contamination.. as well as for fuel in the oil..

Soundguy

/ White Smoke from exhaust? #6  
When it rolled, how long did it run before being shut down? Upside down engines will pump oil to the combustion chambers past rings. Being hard to turn over might indicate hydraulic lock as was suggested. Starting and running MIGHT not have hurt anything, but might have too. Hydraulic slugging has been known to crack blocks, heads, ect. If it doesn't clear up soon, I'd be making a doctors appointment at your friendly neighborhood Deere dealer. I'd be very cautious about running under a load until such a time as you're SURE there isn't anything serious wrong. You MIGHT have hurt something important. You might still DESTROY what is only wounded at this point.

Check coolant for oil. Check oil for coolant. If EITHER shows up, don't run it.

/ White Smoke from exhaust?
Thanks all....

To answer questions, it ran about 10 to 15 seconds while on its side and starting smoking instantly and making a weird clicking sound. I turned it off as soon as I could get to it. I turned it over and try starting and it but it would start to turn over then stop. I tried this about 6 times and then just let it set for about 15-20 minutes. I came back after those 15-20 minutes and it started right up but was blowing heavy white smoke. I drove it about 20 feet to the house and shut it down for the night.

The next evening, 24 hours later, I started it up on the first try, no problems. Again it was throwing out pretty heavy white smoke for about 5 minutes. It then slowly began to clear up over the course of maybe 30 minutes. By the time I was done last night (maybe 3 hours of work) it was almost completely clear. I never noticed any changes in how it was running other than the smoke.

/ White Smoke from exhaust? #8  
Sounds like it did hydro lock. You may be lucky. I once had a Holley carb have the needle stick open on a 468 BBC. I ran the electric fuel pump for about 45 seconds before hitting the starter button, and well lets just say my day was shot. Bent a rod and fractured a piston. Best of luck to you.

/ White Smoke from exhaust? #9  
Sounds like you had some oil in the cylinders and it has finally burned off.

/ White Smoke from exhaust? #10  
I swapped out a motor and had gotten some oil in the exhaust manifold, it smoked like crazy untill it all burned off.:)