900$ saved

/ 900$ saved #1  

1948berg

Gold Member
Tractor
A Fergie-MF 35 gas- Mf 165- Mf 6161- Unimog- Fiat 880
The fan that blows clean air into the cabin of my combine stopped. I phoned the dealer, could have a new one in two days, wise from earlier mistakes I asked the price, 900$ for a complete fan, it was not repairable, no rep set.
I am not that rich, so I took the old one apart, the brushes were worn out.
I bought new pair of standard brushes, had to adjust the seize with a sandpaper, and put the whole thing together, 886 dollars saved! It took me 4 hours, but still-

Attachments

• børster.jpg
    børster.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 430
  • børster1.jpg
    børster1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 381
   / 900$ saved #2  
Good Golly!

They must think you are not so smart! Good job on a cheap fix. Keep your $$ in your pocket where it belongs.

jb

/ 900$ saved #4  
Money well saved. I try to always take things apart to see if I can repair them before buying another assembly. Most work out like yours did.

/ 900$ saved #5  
Wow, is that $900 American dollars? Or what?

It looks like a semi-standard blower fan.

Good thing you fixed it yourself. You could buy a trip to USA with the savings. What kind of Combine do you have?

/ 900$ saved #6  
I love stories like yours, way to go berg.
I try to at least look at repairing first, especially if it means a big expenditure like yours. Nowadays most mechanics are just "replacers" it seems to me.

/ 900$ saved
Kyle_in_Tex said:
Wow, is that $900 American dollars? Or what?

It looks like a semi-standard blower fan.

Good thing you fixed it yourself. You could buy a trip to USA with the savings. What kind of Combine do you have?
American dollars. It is a Massey Ferguson 16, a rather small combine, made in Finland for the Scandinavian market.
I will take that USA trip next year!
http://www.konedata.net/Kuvat/88MF16.jpg

/ 900$ saved #8  
1948berg

Over on this side of the pond we have Automotive electrical repair shops that do starters and alternators they also do fans and and electric window repairs.
Alot of the regular repair shops pull the "odd" stuff off send it to these guys and they rebuild it.

An industrial motor shop could do it too but it is probibly a little small for them
but most likely cheeper than your new price.
usually they put new bearings in them too and clean up the communicator.

tom

/ 900$ saved #9  
Gunnar,
I suggest you spend a little of your savings on a few beers to celebrate. Nice work !

/ 900$ saved #10  
Good for you... Wow.. it's almost criminal to claim that it is non repairable.. since it only took you a few hours and some small parts.. .. man that's alotta money..

Soundguy