Ford 8N carb float bowl empty but overflows into intake?

/ Ford 8N carb float bowl empty but overflows into intake? #1  
Tractor
1947 Ford 8N
On a '47 8N I am having a no start issue and I think it has to do with the carb. When I removed the air intake pipe which is between the air cleaner and the carb there was fuel spilling out of the intake pipe. I pulled off the carb and dissasembled it to find the float bowl was bone dry but on the side where the choke butterfly is located was soaked in fuel. The main gasket is in bad shape. I tried to clean out the passages and reassembled the carb. When I reinstalled it the fuel was again spilling into the intake area of the carb.

Why is the float bowl not filling?
Is there a rebuild kit or should I just purchase a new carb?

Thanks,
Speedy:)

/ Ford 8N carb float bowl empty but overflows into intake? #2  
Afternoon Speedy,
Im not familiar with that carb but you can get a rebuild kit from Valu-Bilt Tractor quite reasonably. When you disassemble it again to rebuild soak it in carb cleaner and blow all passages. I have rebuilt a few on my old Farmalls and they are fairly easy to do.

/ Ford 8N carb float bowl empty but overflows into intake? #3  
That's weird. The fuel should come in directly to the needle valve. When the needle seat goes bad it will fill up the bowl and run into the intake on a gravity feed.

Maybe a crack? Hook up the fuel line to the carb while holding the carb in your hand (do not bolt to the intake). This way you can look all around it for problems. While doing this you can also remove the bowl and operate the float manually. This'll tell you the condition of the needle seat.

Good Luck,
Rob

/ Ford 8N carb float bowl empty but overflows into intake? #4  
I rebuilt our carb one time it had the same symtoms it was the little jet in the bottom of the float bowl under the main jet that was stopped up .Sounds weird but that would be the first place i would look along with a rebiuld kit. Make shure the rebuild kit has the rubber tiped needle valve for the float . The one we got was all metal and did not seat.I would also check the line between the settling bulb and the carb for fuel it may be stopped up .

/ Ford 8N carb float bowl empty but overflows into intake? #5  
The little MS tsx 33 or 241 carbs are pretty easy to rebuild.

If ya got bad gaskets.. stop right there and get a rebuild kit from TSC.. they got a cheap and a spendy one... your choce as to if you need new needle on the idle or not.. etc.

Once you get a good gasket, clean and recheck.

As another poster said, fuel coes in at the flaot needle from the corner elbow and fills the bowl first. my gues sis a bad carb 'halves' gasket.. etc.. and perhaps a stuck/heavy float.

Beware.. if it has been rebuilt with a viton tip. they can stick after setting a while.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Ford 8N carb float bowl empty but overflows into intake? #6  
The cast iron Marvel Schebler carbs. of your type have the fuel inlet in the airhorn (upper section) and the needle & seat & float hang down from it. If the bowl is truly dry and you're getting fuel into the throat of the carb., there's a good chance the airhorn is cracked somewhere in the area of the fuel inlet. If the needle or seat were leaking, it could possibly get by the gasket and wet the intake but it would also get some fuel in the bowl as well. Most but not all of these carbs have a pipe plug in the bottom of the bowl, under the main jet. You can remove this plug while mounted on the engine and confirm if fuel is in the bowl or not for sure. Be extremely careful removing any of the brass jetting - it sticks real bad in the cast iron, but does need to be removed for a proper cleaning. I have rebuilt literally hundreds of these carbs. over the years - they were used on many industrial engines as well as tractors. Be extremely careful with the float - they are very hard to find.

/ Ford 8N carb float bowl empty but overflows into intake? #7  
I had this very problem on my 8N. I had this Carb off and on about six times, couldn't figure it out! First replaced the needle valve, no good. Then I suspected the after market needle valve so I replace it with a genuine New Holland, no good! Then I replace the float with a New Holland, no good! Then I got smart and found TRACTORBYNET. My hat is off to FULLPULL and his post! I removed the Carb one more time and completely disassembled the thing removing all the little jets (about 1/16" Dia) in the bottom and top of the Carb, cleaned all with Carb cleaner. RE-assembled and installed, turned on the gas, problem GONE! I still don't understand how the Gas leaked into the Air Horn but who cares, she don't leak no more me happy!

/ Ford 8N carb float bowl empty but overflows into intake? #8  
7 year old post! :)