Backhoe Cylinder Seal Repair

/ Backhoe Cylinder Seal Repair #1  

jgbanshee

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 310SE, JD 4300, JD 5210, JD 450 Crawler, CAT D3B, Ford 2N, Ford 5000 Ford 4000su, Ford 1100
The seal on the dipper cylinder is squirting fluid when I move that cylinder. The backhoe is a Bradco 11HD. How harf they to replace? Could I do it or should a shop?

/ Backhoe Cylinder Seal Repair #2  
You may want to fully disassemble the cylinder to make sure your rod isn't bent slightly, causing the seal to be distorted and leak. If you fully extend the rod you might be able to check it for straightness on the machine.

Certainly a shop could replace the seal. This thread:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanmar/105967-leaking-hydraulic-cylinders.html#post1204023
has good comments relating to your question.

If that doesn't answer your question, it might help if you'd post a picture of the business end of your cylinder so someone here can give you specific information for that type of cylinder.

/ Backhoe Cylinder Seal Repair
I took the time to look over the cylinder today (still on backhoe). The rod wiper that is inbetween the cylinder and the gland that can be seen from the outside was pushed out in one spot. That is where the fluid is coming from. Do I have to replace everything or just the rod wiper? The cylinder looks straight and has no rust or gouges.

/ Backhoe Cylinder Seal Repair #4  
The "wiper" is not really designed to hold pressure. There is another seal/o-ring that does the actual sealing. The seal is pushed out probably because of pressure behind it. You need to get a seal kit and rebuild the cylinder. You cannot get to those seals without disassembling everything.:( It is not difficult it is more the intimidation factor of something that you have never done before.

Mike