Shapening BH Bucket ?

/ Shapening BH Bucket ? #1  

mrutkaus

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30HST, Kubota BX-1500,
Any downside to "sharpening" the 1/4" thick sides of a backhoe bucket a bit to help cut roots?

Mike

/ Shapening BH Bucket ? #2  
It will dull faster:)
Ok on a more serious note, if you sharpen the sides it may crack easier is about all I can think of....or it may not do anything but help cut roots, if you have a welder you can fix it if it does crack.
I usually just use the teeth and split the bigger roots or dig at them a little at a time.

/ Shapening BH Bucket ? #3  
Why not bolt or weld on a cutting edge to the sides of the bucket. or if you have a stick welder weld a hardened edge to it then gring it to an edge. This is done on a lot of heavy equipment to keep from wearing the sides of the bucket down.

/ Shapening BH Bucket ? #4  
mrutkaus said:
Any downside to "sharpening" the 1/4" thick sides of a backhoe bucket a bit to help cut roots?

Mike
The downside is like wushaw explained above, but can certainly be done. I would imagine excessive wear and increased possibility of cracking is a possible result.

I like what toolsorbust suggested. Add the cutting edges and sharpen them.

/ Shapening BH Bucket ? #5  
As others have said, industrial buckets have bolt on side cutters. But for home use, sharpening is ok. I don't expect any catastrophic failures, just some faster wear.

jb