Front PTO?

/ Front PTO? #1  

jimmer2880

Platinum Member
Tractor
'05 Kubota BX1830
Does anyone where I can find a Front PTO kit for my Yanmar f16d & about how much it would cost?

I assume that it's a 1:1 RPM. I have a Woods MMM which runs off of the rear PTO I'm hoping I can adapt to run from the front. Would I have to do some re-gearing to get this to work?

If I can find something that will match up to the shaft coming out of the front of my motor, I can do some fab work to make the clutch, etc fit. Since these Yanmar motors are used in Deere's, I hope someone has one laying around a bone-yard somewhere.

I appreciate any & all help (my wife constantly reminds me how much help I really need ;) ).

/ Front PTO? #2  
I would try Hoye first, they advertise here. I have a US YM model, and i had no problem finding a front pto kit for mine (though i didn't end up buying it). You will need to adjust your gearing on it to run the mower, as the front pto obviously runs at 1:1. I should think you might be able to add a larger pulley to your mower to slow it down some. If your pto reaches rated speed at say, 2000 rpm, and your tractor makes enough power to mow at 1500, you won't even need to slow the mower down as much. I did see a huge difference in price from one dealer to the next.... apparently some want to make their weeks pay with each sale..... so do a little checking around. I found a front pto kit for a little over $200, where another dealer i checked with wanted $800 for the same kit. Good luck !

/ Front PTO?
Good adivce. Thanks Ductape. I'll have to drop Hoye an email.

/ Front PTO?
I checked with Hoye, however they couldn't come up with a kit to fit my F16. I do have a friend who could machine an adapter plate though. So - at this point, I'm trying to find a PTO clutch, etc & make what I need.

Hoye doesn't seem too excited to sell a clutch. That has me thinking (very dangerous for me to do that :) ). Is the clutch something that I should look from Yanmar, or, would Woods, etc also make such a beast? I am very much in the market for something used if I can find it.

Does anyone know of another resource where I could find a PTO clutch?

Thanks again for any help.

/ Front PTO? #5  
Assuming you by pto clutch you mean an electric clutch to turn on and off the pto, there are several manufacturers that use them. Just for instance, and not necessary the lowest price range first, are the Steiner lawn tractors. My Steiner 525 has an electric pto clutch on the front that turns on and off the pto drive that supplies the mowing deck with power. My next door neighbor has a two or three year old mower that also has an electric pto to start and stop the mowing deck. I am not sure how his is configured, but a trip to the JD dealership would explain that or maybe a look online at the parts of different mowers. If your going to build the mounts and parts, pick the one that looks the least complicated for your friend to build the parts for. I know he will appreciate that.
David from jax

/ Front PTO? #6  
Some time ago i saw a thread by a member here who used an automotive A/C clutch for a front PTO he built..... coincidentally on a Yanmar. He used his to power his rear snow blower which was converted to mount on the front of his tractor. Perhaps a search in the Yanmar forum might get you what you are looking for?

/ Front PTO? #7  
Hoye doesn't seem too excited to sell a clutch.

I promise you that I will be happy to sell you a clutch. That is not a problem. I guess I gave the wrong impression (easy to do on an email/post). I have several in stock for other model Yanmar tractors that I will be glad to get rid of. The problem is that they are all around $480 for the electric clutch alone and I think that is too much money for something that will not just bolt on & work out of the box.

You asked me if I had one that would bolt on to the F16 and I do not. So I sent you illustrations on how the factory system would have worked to try to help you make something like it since you mentioned that you can fabricate brackets, etc. My thoughts are that if you are going to have to modify something to work- why spend a lot of extra money to use a clutch that was designed to work on another specific application. Why not just go to Surplus Center or one of the other surplus stores like that and buy a $40 electric clutch and then make that work?

Just my opinion. I don't like to try to sell people things that they don't need.

Aaron
Parts@HoyeTractor.com
(940)592-0181

/ Front PTO?
Very sorry Aaron... I hope I didn't come off as flaming Hoye. I have always had wonderful service from Hoye & hope to continue to do so in the future. You have already gone above & beyond. So - yes, I think there was some translation loss in the email chains going both ways. :)

Ouch! $480.00 for the clutch alone. That really hurts. One thing that I never found out, was if you also sell used/salvage parts. I assume you don't since you haven't brought up selling me a used part. I would love to purchase what I need from one since a bolt-on option doesn't appear to exist. Thank you very much for this post. It explained a lot.

As far as a tractor salvage place... I've never purchased anything from any of them. Does anyone have a suggestion, or should I just start Google'ing?

thank you all again

/ Front PTO?
Ductape said:
Some time ago i saw a thread by a member here who used an automotive A/C clutch for a front PTO he built..... coincidentally on a Yanmar. He used his to power his rear snow blower which was converted to mount on the front of his tractor. Perhaps a search in the Yanmar forum might get you what you are looking for?

wow... that sounds neat. I'm really curious as to how many hp's that little thing could hold though. Time to go search some more.